Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position:
The Post-doctoral Research Associate is responsible for advancing our understanding of material behaviors and characteristics during ceramic extrusion processes for CET business. Candidate must have an in-depth knowledge in rheology and a strong expertise in numerical simulation. This position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to work effectively across multiple organizations in Research, Development, Engineering and Manufacturing.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
1. Develop appropriate rheological description of ceramic paste used in CET manufacturing process.
2. Propose and develop measurement/characterization approaches to derive needed rheological parameter(s).
3. Apply the developed (or existing) rheological description to numerical modeling, validate the results with experimental (and/or manufacturing) results by working with experimentalists.
4. Attend project meetings, provide modeling updates and interpret results to address real-world problems.
5. Document critical results in technical reports and/or patent patent(s).
Travel requirements: Expected travel time <10% (domestic).
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hours per week but some flexibility is required.
Education and Experience: PhD in Chemical Engineering or otherengineering fields focus on rheology
1. Experience and Knowledge in Rheology
a. The candidate’s PhD thesis work should be focus on rheology preferably for ceramic paste (or similar materials)
b. Have experimental experience in rheology measurement
c. Understanding the physics behind the rheological description
d. Knowledge of partial wall slip and its impact to extrusion
2. Experience in modeling and good understanding on how to link modeling to rheology experiments
1. Problem solving skills with developing hypothesis on product or process related issues and effectively design approaches to find the root cause(s)
2. Knowledge of numerical simulation software such as; ANSYS, COMSOL, etc.
3. Knowledge of Non Newtonian flow
4. A strong record of peer-reviewed journal publication
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
1. Must be self-motivated and demonstrate strong curiosity of the technical work
2. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
3. Respect others and be willing to work across diverse cultures
4. Able to work both independently and with a team.
Req #: 3701