About the Role
As Portfolio Owner for the North America Liability, you will act as Deputy Chief Underwriting Officer for this line of business. Your main responsibilities include:
- Lead and own the strategy, execution, steering and results for the North Amercia Liability and be the go-to person for all relevant portfolio matters. This includes an active role in decision making for large transactions relevant to the portfolio.
- Act as spokesperson for the portfolio with strong collaboration across the organization throughout the year. Communicate with all stakeholders and foster collaboration across the organization.
- Oversee the business through the lifecycle, from planning to run-off. Manage the portfolio sustainably including growth & optimization plans. This includes strong alignment and collaboration with underwriting desks as well as costing and reserving actuaries.
- Facilitate and conduct client audit activity relevant to and critical for sustainable success in North America Liability
- Be visible in the market through client interaction and industry events.
- Be a member of the Hub Leadership Team to guide strategy, talent, tactics and engagement.
- Ensure collaboration with Solutions and Transaction teams, targeting and managing the business they produce to align with our portfolio goals
- Define ambitious goals and show tangible actions that demonstrate ownership, both for new business and in-force book; understand portfolio priorities in multiple dimensions (profitability, growth and risk)
- Lead a diverse Portfolio Cross-Functional Team (XFT) that helps in providing timely, relevant and actionable portfolio information
- Deliver a high-quality Strategic Portfolio Plan including forward looking views on key risk pool metrics (exposure size, loss frequency, loss severity, premium rate)
- Develop and review the portfolio strategy at least once a year with a panel of senior executives and adapt it, if necessary. Ensure the strategy is communicated transparently to all relevant stakeholders using the Strategic Portfolio Plan
About the Team
We recently announced Swiss Re's future journey in reinsurance for US Casualty business. We have developed a strategy that will generate new excitement for our dedicated underwriting teams and enable us to generate economic value. The strategy will bring fundamental and radical changes across the value chain. We will create a framework that will allow us to dynamically steer our US Casualty book based on three key elements Brilliant Underwriting Basics, Superior Data and Dynamic Steering.
To turn this strategic vision into motion we are looking for a Portfolio Owner with responsibility for the North America Liability book of business. The role will report directly to the Head Underwriting Casualty US & Canada.
- You are a thought leader in the area of North America Liability with an in-depth market understanding, including trends, cycles and dynamics. Experience with portfolio management and ownership is desirable.
- You have 10 or more years of experience in North America Liability, preferably with some primary insurance experience
- You have a track record in leadership to shape strategy, drive decision making and develop talent.
- You have strong communication skills to deploy and oversee the portfolio strategy internally and articulate externally
- You have an open, curious and strategic mindset and are equipped with the ability:
- to take data-driven, forward-looking views of your risk pool
- to spot and capitalize on (sub)portfolio opportunities, fully exploiting Swiss Re's top down steering capabilities
- to actively contribute to Swiss Re's outperformance versus the market and thus, shape our market distinctiveness
- You have a strong sense of ownership & accountability and a clear track record of impactful leadership & execution