Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Applypolymer & materials science engineering fundamental principles to solve the deep technical challenges primarily related to polymer materials and their use in both our products & processes. This corporate engineering role serves all existing businesses, with typical project assignments lasting 6 months to 2 years, and ranging from initial research projects through stage 5 manufacturing support. Our organization serves a flexible base of resources and knowledge which facilitates rapid solution development and emphasizes strong technical competence. This candidate will serve as a material expert with interactions including raw materials, suppliers, lab simulations, research, development, and manufacturing.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Understand material properties and impact on Corning’s products and processes.
• Drive root cause understanding to improve yield, extend asset life, reduce costs, improve product attributes and enable new products.
• Develop laboratory testing regimen and process simulations to extend knowledge base and prove/disprove hypotheses.
• Work with department laboratory staff to ensure optimal turnaround and experimental efficiency.
• Protect Corning’s intellectual property by filing invention disclosures for patent application in timely fashion.
• Document all project findings in internal, structured reports.
• Maintain high quality engineering principles, including extensive use of statistics, structured problem solving methods such as KT, DoE, and DMAIC six sigma tools.
• Measure and communicate performance against objectives.
Travel Requirements: up to 25%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Flex time; typical 8:00 – 5:00; Monday – Friday. Some projects may require additional hours.
• MS or PhD in Materials Engineering, Polymer or Materials Science & Engineering.
RequiredYears of Experience:
• >5 years experience working in the field
• Deep technical background in polymer materials processing and evaluation
• Experience with polymer component manufacturing or adhesives, resins, high temperature lubrications etc
• Strong laboratory experience, hands on preferred
• Ability to assimilate quickly and produce valuable results
• Strong supporter and user of existing literature to facilitate learning - journals, conferences etc
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with customers, suppliers and co-workers
• Problem solving skills-cut all the noise out and rapidly hone in on root cause
• Polymer manufacturing process engineering basics
• Project management
• Statistics, data analysis, design of experiments
• Able to work independently
• Sense of urgency
• Results oriented
• Positive attitude
• Flexible and adaptable
• Open and approachable
Req #: 5342