As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists' interests; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns; and counter misinformation that might interfere with our business and ability to serve our users. We're looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
As a member of the Policy Communications Team, you’ll be responsible for handling communications around Google’s biggest regulatory and policy issues. You will work cross functionally across the global communications team and with Policy, Trust and Safety, Legal and other teams to manage communications around a wide range of topics.
It's our job to help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders--and our own employees--about the benefits of Google's products, our distinctive company culture/values, and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. We are looking for quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here, you'll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators (we find it hard too!), or producing internal communications and events for our employees. Things happen quickly at Google and to get stuff done here you need to be an enthusiastic team player - a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.
- Work with various communications teams and other groups in Google, such as the Trust and Safety, Legal and Policy teams, to develop proactive and reactive messaging around Google’s most challenging policy issues - including competition, privacy and security, tax, controversial content and free expression.
- Help explain Google’s positive efforts in these areas, and manage press enquiries.
- Develop and maintain close, productive relationships with teams across Google, journalists, key partners and influencers in tech, business and mainstream press.
- Think creatively, take smart risks and tackle tough issues as they arise.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 6 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in policy issues and crisis communications.
- Strong, clear written and verbal communicator who can tailor messages to the right audiences.
- Creativity in both proactive and reactive communications’ approaches; ability to adapt quickly depending on the circumstance.
- Ability to focus and prioritize given a huge variety and pace of updates and announcements.