Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges—and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
As part of the MITRE Electronics Systems and Technology Leadership team, supporting the MITRE position, navigation and time (PNT) Director, the Sr. Principal Engineer and PNT Area Lead will be responsible for leading multiple teams providing highly complex cross disciplined support across a diverse set of government customers (OSD, the Services and DHS). The MITRE PNT products span from system-of-system analysis to rapid prototyping of proof-of-concept capabilities used to drive mission success for our customers. The position requires a technical understanding of PNT technologies and challenges that will shape the development of cutting edge resilient solutions. The successful candidate will lead MITRE’s interactions with customers, users, contractors and internal/external stakeholder communities. In this role, the candidate will:
- Work with the PNT director and leadership team to define strategic initiatives and IR&D investments
- Engage with the customer and MITRE portfolio organizations to shape future work for the program
Allocate/distribute work to others based on business/customer priorities to maximize mission outcomes
Guide the MITRE engineering team(s) with focus on systems engineering, enterprise integration, and systems analysis, field testing, prototype development and verification
Ability to plan and provide structure and organization in a fast paced, changing environment.
Effectively manages risk and uncertainty for self and team.
Ability to decompose problems and make decisions when problems or solutions are not 100% defined
Maintains excitement for the work and drives to new directions of meeting the goal in the face of unfavorable odds and setbacks
Influences and energizes others toward the common vision and goal
Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to interface with senior government leadership with confidence and clarity
Proactively engages with cross-functional teams to resolve issues and design solutions using critical thinking and analytical skills and best practices
- An exceptionally clear and structured thought process and coherent decision making skills.
- The ability to adapt and expand one’s skillset to solve the problem at hand.
- A desire to focus on technical and high impact work above all other factors.
- Ability and desire to document results through technical and non-technical briefings, memos, and formal reports.
- Ability to work in classified environments
Candidates will have a background in engineering, physics or mathematics and a strong foundation in signal processing and acoustics. We are also looking for experience in information and communication system engineering, estimation and classification, or radar/sonar systems. The candidate should have academic and/or professional experience with as many of the following topics as possible:
- Digital signal processing and stochastic processes
- Engineering mathematics: calculus, differential equations, linear algebra
- Wireless communications
- Modulation and Coding
- Detection and estimation
- State-space modeling and linear systems theory
- Probabilistic reasoning and graphical models
- Proficient with Python, C/C++, and/or MATLAB
- Software development, debugging, and support
- BS and 15 years related experience.