Albany Engineered Composites (AEC) designs, develops, and manufactures advanced composite components in order to help our customers push the frontiers of innovation. Our core strength is our ability to produce highly tailored, complex composite components. With our unique blend of products -- including 3D woven structures, traditional and non-traditional 2D composite structures, and discrete through thickness reinforcement technologies, to name a few -- AEC is able to produce composite components and products which meet performance and cost specifications often beyond the reach of metallic or conventional laminated composites.
As a member of the Development Engineering team, the PLC Controls Engineer is responsible for all controls/automation efforts on new/existing production equipment aimed to improve product quality, operational efficiency, and the process robustness. The PLC Controls Engineer is responsible for the design, install, repair, maintenance, and troubleshooting of electrical, electro-mechanical and control system related to composites manufacturing equipment, including but not limited to, press systems, servos, VFD, analog sensors, discrete sensors, lasers, alarms, various machine/process controls, and critical operational data. In addition to maximize machine uptime, the PLC Controls Engineer also provides occasional operation/production support, as well as maintaining traceability, reliability, and redundancy of key process characteristic & operational data.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to conform to the following values: Safety, Fact Based, Accountable, Respectful, Persistence, and Ethical. Put Safety first at all times, never compromise on safety for the obtainment of other objectives. Responsible for health and safety of themselves and coworkers.
- Maintain documentation related to automation and programming functions.
- Design, develop, implement, and support HMI/SCADA/GUI/PLC applications.
- Work with process owners, end-users, and customers to understand equipment HMI/PLC requirements during development, as well as working with manufacturing and operations personnel to diagnose issues and support continuous improvements.
- Utilize and employ US and international design and safety standards (e.g. UL, NEC, /NFPA, CE, etc.)
- Create specifications, statements of work, manuals, acceptance criteria, and qualification protocols
- Report and assist in maintaining project schedule and scope
- Organize, prepare for, and/or conduct technical design reviews to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Drive continuous improvements in the areas of safety, quality, delivery and cost.
- Perform failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA's) to establish and maintain stable processes
Education / Professional Certification:
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering with a focus on Controls & Automation is preferred.
- B.S. in other Engineering discipline with a focus on Controls & Automation also acceptable at management discretion.
Experience & Specialized Knowledge:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience, with 2+ years of relevant experience in PLC, programming , such as Rockwell(RSLogix, Studio 5000)
- Familiar with programming Logic Controllers (PLC) (e.g. Allen-Bradley, Siemens)
- Knowledge of basic electrical circuits.
- Basic knowledge of all relevant guidance documentation; ASI 95, NFPA, etc.
- Experience with PLM management software preferred (AssetCentre, WindChill)
- Experience with SAP (purchase orders, material look-up)
- Understanding of CE and UL Safety Standards
- Understanding and experience with ISO9100, AS9100 or similar QMS systems preferred
- PLC Programming
- Familiarity with control system applications and implementation, best practices, and the sequence of design phases associated with machine design.
- Understanding of industrial communication protocols and interfaces such as OPC, Modbus, Ethernet/IP, TCP/IP.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft software (MSWord, PowerPoint, Excel, Project)
- Proficient with Microsoft Visio
- Strong understanding of project management fundamentals and best practices
- Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills at the system level
- Strong organizational, and verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Must demonstrate the eagerness and ability to learn and must work well in a cross-functional team environment.
- Able to work independently or as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Able to create, understand, and interpret engineering drawings.
- Able to work on multiple projects in parallel without losing focus on key milestones and objectives.
- Able to react to challenges with a can-do attitude
- Able to handle highly confidential & proprietary information in an appropriate manner
- Able to develop trusting and collaborative relationships and foster involvement at all levels of the working group
- Work with minimal supervision, to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgement
- Able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical individuals
- Flexible and adaptable to changing business conditions/needs. Must be able to quickly adjust to shifting priorities.
- Able to solve problems and a willingness to make decisions.
- Duties performed indoors in a production environment with adequate lighting and comfortable temperatures; Occasional exposure to moderate noise and machinery with mechanical fast moving parts.
- Primarily 1st shift with expected casual over-time
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- Travel domestically and internationally (predominantly Mexico & France) up to 25%
- Must be able to lift objects up to 40 lbs.
- Frequently move about the production floor and office area to attend meetings/trainings or perform Gemba walks
- Frequently operates a computer, enters data into systems, verifies information, etc.
- May need to travel between different buildings at Rochester NH campus.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time at a in meetings
- May require sitting for extended period at desk to evaluate data, write reports and perform tasks