As a seamlessly integrated part of the BCG network, we provide consulting services focused on the development and implementation of business-critical IT architecture and digital solutions. We create technology platforms and deliver exceptionally customized solutions of the future for our clients, from data strategies to next-generation customer journey solutions and transformational business models. We solve the most daunting challenges that companies face today and envision for tomorrow. Our style is entrepreneurial – nimble and innovative, with multifaceted, cross-functional teams and completely vendor-independent. Our unique selling proposition is technology expertise and delivery excellence.
Platinion was founded in 2000. Since then, we have grown continuously and successfully. Today we have offices in Europe, North and South America, Asia Pacific and Africa.
Practice Area Profile
BCG Platinion launched in Germany in 2000 to add deep technical expertise to the Boston Consulting Group’s existing capabilities. Today, our presence spans across the globe, with offices in Asia, Europe, and South and North America. Our New York-based North American team began in 2014 and in 2017 acquired MAYA Design, a Pittsburgh-based digital design and innovation lab, to grow our capabilities around technology and design. We support our clients’ total digital transformation through technology, design, cybersecurity, and risk management & financial engineering capabilities. And together with BCG, BCG Platinion’s interdisciplinary team of technical experts enable customized technical solutions and accelerate delivery value through new business platforms, application consolidations, and major system implementations.
What You'll Do
At BCG Platinion, we’re bringing design to the front line of business challenges, creating work that solves problems in novel, feasible, and desirable ways. Our team applies a human-centered approach in order to create innovative and exciting end-to-end experiences at the intersection of people and technology. We are looking for a curious individual who is passionate about advocating for user needs. In this role, you will explore new domains and industries, make discoveries based on research data, and work with a talented team of people to create solutions inspired by those insights.
Lead/Principal Strategic Designers at BCG Platinion are:
- Human-Centered. They start with people and thoughtfully consider the usefulness and usability of everything they create.
- Expert Researchers. They both lead and play an active role in design and research. They are responsible for crafting research plans, performing fieldwork like interviewing and contextual inquiries, and synthesizing that research to make recommendations.
- Designers. They create wireframes, storyboards, and data visualizations to communicate a desired future state.
- Leaders. They lead large, complex projects, manage client relationships, and write and publish thought leadership documents.
- Discovery-driven. They find patterns, deconstruct large challenges, and communicate persuasively.
- Collaborative. They are supportive team members who give great feedback. They embrace working in interdisciplinary teams and believe different perspectives and backgrounds drive the most innovative solutions.
You’re Good At:
- Be an advocate for user needs and experiences throughout the design process.
- Define and lead user engagements. Plan and lead large and complex research efforts, including in-person and remote user research to better understand people and their environments. Methods might include contextual inquiry, fly-on-the-wall observation, interviews, surveys, diary studies, and generative participatory activities.
- Lead analysis and synthesis of research findings. Capture and synthesize information into actionable insights and recommendations. Use tools like concept mapping to document the underlying information architecture for a focus area.
- Evaluate user experiences. Conduct and lead evaluative research, such as usability testing (in-person and remote, moderated and unmoderated) and expert analysis.
- Design concepts, storyboards, wireframes, and prototypes. Create design concepts at varying levels of fidelity (sketches of situations and user interfaces, wireframes of screens and interactions, etc.). Use a variety of prototyping tools (across fidelity levels) to make your ideas tangible and understandable.
- Design and lead workshops with diverse stakeholders, from client teams to community partners, to collaboratively explore domains and challenges, synthesize data, generate concepts, and present work.
- Mentor and lead other members of the team in human-centered design and the field of Human Sciences to develop talent, provide direction, and oversee output and projects.
- Manage members of the team, leading them through the CDC (Career Development) process, giving timely and accurate performance feedback.
- Contribute to the BCG Platinion | MAYA Design’s consulting business by:
- Supporting business development through writing proposals, scoping projects, and showcasing the value of human-centered design to clients.
- Contributing to our thought leadership through written publications and speaking at events and conferences.
- Lead large complex projects as a project manager.
- Travel around the globe to work with clients and BCG teams. At times, this role involves significant travel to client sites. The amount of travel will depend on client needs and nature of projects.
What You'll Bring (Experience & Qualifications)
- 6+ years in a Strategic Design role, or relevant professional experience.
- 4+ years of experience in a client-facing consulting and leadership role.
- BS/BA in human-computer interaction, interaction design, design planning, strategy or other relevant experience. MS preferred.
- Expert knowledge of research methods and frameworks, user interface standards, tools, and industry guidelines. The ability to reference best practices and design patterns, and can solve complex problems and novel interface challenges.
- Deep understanding of user experience design principles and best practices, with the experience and judgment to question convention when appropriate.
- Visual communication skills, using sketching and other tools to articulate thoughts about complex problems, datasets, or experimentation.
- Proven success working in and promoting a collaborative and iterative development environment.
- Expertise in prototyping and testing, future visioning, and strategy development.
- Mentorship/management experience.