As a seamlessly integrated part of the BCG network, we provide consulting services focused on the development and implementation of business-critical IT architecture and digital solutions. We create technology platforms and deliver exceptionally customized solutions of the future for our clients, from data strategies to next-generation customer journey solutions and transformational business models. We solve the most daunting challenges that companies face today and envision for tomorrow. Our style is entrepreneurial – nimble and innovative, with multifaceted, cross-functional teams and completely vendor-independent. Our unique selling proposition is technology expertise and delivery excellence.
Platinion was founded in 2000. Since then, we have grown continuously and successfully. Today we have offices in Europe, North and South America, Asia Pacific and Africa.
Practice Area Profile
BCG Platinion launched in Germany in 2000 to add deep technical expertise to the Boston Consulting Group's existing capabilities. Today, our presence spans across the globe, with offices in Asia, Europe, and South and North America. Our New York-based North American team began in 2014 and in 2017 acquired MAYA Design, a Pittsburgh-based digital design and innovation lab, to grow our capabilities around technology and design. We support our clients' total digital transformation through technology, design, cybersecurity, and risk management & financial engineering capabilities. And together with BCG, BCG Platinion's interdisciplinary team of technical experts enable customized technical solutions and accelerate delivery value through new business platforms, application consolidations, and major system implementations.
What You'll Do
At BCG Platinion, we are thinkers, makers, and doers who love solving hard problems. We aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves and dive into the weeds of complexity—in fact, that’s our job. When companies are tasked with understanding and managing their data, we come in and develop the products, tools, and platforms they need to harness that information for real impact.
Lead/Principal Data Engineers at BCG Platinion are:
- Iterative. They are excited to prototype at all levels of fidelity—and have the humility to walk away from ideas when they fail.
- Collaborative. They have the ability and enthusiasm to work with researchers, engineers, business consultants, and other designers who will challenge and support one another.
- Comfortable with ambiguity. They know projects and businesses move fast. That means the path forward isn’t always well-defined. They are comfortable and collaborative through our process.
- Interdisciplinary. They deliver data products for digital solutions, deploy analytical models into production, fix existing data platforms, or coach and enable other teams in best practices depending on need.
You’re Good At:
- Translating business needs into effective performant technology solutions
- Implementing data orchestration pipelines, data sourcing, cleansing, and augmentation and quality control processes
- Designing flexible and scalable data architectures tailor made for the client
- Designing flexible data models that are extensible to support existing and new use cases
- Deploying machine learning models in production
- Working with client architects and engineering teams to ensure long term client enablement
- Leading the engineering team to execute and deliver quality scalable software
- Mentoring data engineers to further their personal and professional growth
- Working with a diverse set of clients across domains and industries
- Developing team’s talent by providing direction and facilitating technical architectural discussions
- Contribute to the running of BCG Platinion | MAYA Design’s consulting business by:
- Assisting with business development through writing proposals, scoping projects
- Contributing to our thought leadership through written publications and speaking at events and conferences
What You'll Bring (Experience & Qualifications)
- 6+ years of experience working on large scale, full lifecycle data implementation projects
- BS/BA in data engineering, software engineering, data science, computer science, applied mathematics, or equivalent experience
- A solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and system with fundamentally strong programming skills and software development best practices
- Proven success working in and promoting a rapidly changing, collaborative, and iterative product development environment
- 5+ years of experience in a client facing role
- 4+ years hands on experience developing ETL/ELT workflows with Python, Scala or Java
- 2+ years professional development experience with some of the AWS/Azure/GCP data stack to deploy data pipelines e.g., S3, Blob storage, AWS Glue, Azure Data Factory, Cloud Dataflow, EMR, Dataproc, etc
- A deep understanding of relational and MPP database technology, working with at least one of the major databases platforms (Oracle, SQLServer, Teradata, MySQL, Postgres) and cloud based MPP databases (Redshift, Synapse, Big Query, Snowflake)
- A deep knowledge of performant SQL and understanding of relational database technology
- Experience working with Big Data technologies such as Spark, Hive, Impala, Druid, or Presto