The Platform Engineering Manager is responsible for the on-premises and cloud Infrastructure platforms that deliver applications to run the Bank. From a technology perspective, this includes oversight and architecture for server, storage, server virtualization, application virtualization, virtual desktops, and public cloud IaaS platforms and their related operating systems. Managing and developing personnel on the team is also a critical part of the role as heroic teams are pivotal to the future success of the Bank. Additionally, the person performing the role must facilitate excellent documentation by the team, create and enforce standards and procedures, ensure Service Level Agreements are met for the related platforms, promote excellent customer service, manage to a budget, and collaborate with peers to continually deliver innovative and optimized technology platforms that help the Bank succeed.
- High School diploma required; Undergraduate Degree highly preferred; Graduate degree desired
Technical Skills & Experience
- 7+ years of experience engineering and operating enterprise-level technology systems
- 5+ years of experience in the administration of Microsoft Windows Servers, Active Directory, and VMware server virtualization platforms
- 4+ years of experience managing and leading similar IT teams
- Experience and/or detailed knowledge with Citrix desktop virtualization and application virtualization platforms
- Experience and/or detailed knowledge with NetApp storage platforms
- Good understanding of network services, such as DNS, NTP, SNMP, and network switching/routing
- Experience with Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services in deploying virtual machines and cloud storage
- Experience with configuring data replication tools to ensure disaster recovery can be achieved within RTO/RPO
- Technology problem solving skills
Business / Non-Technical Skills & Experience
- Proven leadership skills on technology teams
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Very effective verbal and written communicator as well as adept at creating and delivering presentations
- Capable mentor and coach to help team members aspire to learn, grow, and achieve more
- Demonstrated expertise in customer service
- Thrives working in a group environment with team members and also other IT leaders
- Must be able to occasionally lift and move technology related equipment of reasonable size and weight
- TEAM - The Platform Engineering Manager will be responsible for the Platform Engineering team as well as all associated technologies. Directs the team on a daily basis to strategically and tactically improve the technology platforms for the Bank. Develops and maintains synergy within the Platform Engineering team as well as within the Technology Infrastructure department.
- MANAGEMENT - The Platform Engineering Manager is responsible for the daily management of each member of the Platform Engineering Team. This includes but is not limited to quarterly check-ins, yearly reviews, training and development plans, disciplinary action, work assignments, attendance, and project performance feedback.
- SUPPORT - While the Platform Engineering Manager infrequently interacts directly with end users, this person should foster relationships with the front-line support teams, demonstrate excellent customer service, and work to streamline the escalation process for customer service tickets.
- DATA CENTER - Oversee management of the Enterprise Data Centers. Maintain system redundancy through proper design and implementation. Ensures power, cooling, and computing systems are fully functional for daily use, and are properly sized and tested for emergency situations.
- VENDORS - Serves as a liaison and maintains relationships with key software and hardware vendors.
- DISASTER RECOVERY & DATA PROTECTION - Coordinates, administers, tests, and implements emergency/disaster recovery procedures for enterprise technology systems, customer data, and supporting systems. Maintains and assures proper backup and safekeeping of the Bank’s data and software. Ensures that the remote backup and recovery system can perform proper restoration of data and services in a timely manner. Responsible for the continual testing and documentation of the plans and procedures.
- REPORTING – Develop key metrics and report on platform capacity, health, customer experience, etc. Report on status of projects and tasks that the team is responsible for. Responsible to make recommendations concerning possible improvements with the IT platforms and/or branches at the Bank. Provides applicable reports on a regular basis for inventory tracking, growth projection, and budgetary planning.
- FINANCIAL - Has the responsibility to make recommendations concerning the budgetary needs of the Platform Engineering team in terms of capital investments and operating expenses. Must be able to provide justification for appropriate projects to identify ROI, TCO, and other financial analysis.
- REGULATORY/COMPLIANCE – Respond to inquiries by auditors and regulators with integrity, accuracy, and timeliness. Lead the team to mitigate any reported findings. Seek to understand the rules and regulations under which the Bank is regulated and identify proactive approaches of providing typical information to auditors and regulators.
- Other duties as assigned.