You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to simplify. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you’ll bring with you
- Hands-on experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably AWS
- A customer focused mindset and the ability to directly engage with our PaaS
- Practical experience with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform, Cloudformation, Ansible or Chef, etc.)
- Exceptional troubleshooting and analytical abilities
- Experience with a programming language (e.g. Python, C# or Java, etc.)
- Experience administering Windows/Linux servers in a highly available environment
- An understanding of relational database management experience with a preferred emphasis on SQL Server
- Familiarity with agile software development methodology and tooling, including continuous integration and delivery
- An understanding of network services and/or building and maintaining a Kubernetes cluster
- A strong desire to automate processes, build software tools, and create infrastructure-as-code solutions in a DevOps environment
What you’ll do
- Be customer-focused; Obsess over customers and directly engage with them; identify customer pain points and solve real customer problems based on observing their struggles and analysing customer data.
- Be kind; embrace our culture where we encourage diversity in a psychologically safe workplace. Voice your own opinion while considering the opinions of others.
- Be engaged; actively contribute to your team activities, initiatives and technological challenges, while working towards your product roadmaps. Maintain processes and monitoring to drive incremental improvement.
- Be collaborative; work with the team and others to achieve a good outcome using a working style that suits the problem at hand. Take operational responsibility for services, which may include 24x7 on call rotation.
- Be coached; proactively work with your manager on your personal and career development, highlighting any training/development needs and following through with actions agreed.
Success looks like
- Contributing to product discovery activities and aligning with the agreed roadmap
- Taking ownership of personal/career development
- Communicating effectively and respectfully giving and receiving feedback
- Displaying empathy and inclusion in interactions with others
- Meeting agreed Service Level Objectives for operational performance
- Ensuring continued improvement in ways of working for efficient delivery
- Providing support and guidance to teams that use our platform services
- Playing an active role within the Communities of Practice in Xero
- Living the vision & values.
- Keeps Xero’s vision and values at the forefront of decision-making, actions, communication and behaviors.
- Has track record of innovating and delivering technology in a team and solving customer’s problems through software.
- Growth mind-set.
- Understands that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- Has an awareness of EQ and is capable of recognizing one's own emotions and of those around you.
- Maintains a healthy personal/work-life harmony. Considers the wide range of learning and social opportunities at Xero against the needs of the team.
- Great communication skills.
- Speaks and writes clearly, succinctly and articulately without relying on jargon.
- Relationship building. Successfully builds trust and credibility with their team, customers and stakeholders.
- Experience in delivering code to production in a commercial environment.
- Ability to work with others and navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way.
- Experience of modern product and engineering principles and practices.
- AWS infrastructure - EC2, S3, SQS
- Coding as a software engineer (Python, Powershell, React/API experience is a plus)
- CI/CD pipeline experience - creating, using and maintaining
- Problem investigation/troubleshooting, solving
- Containerization (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Systems monitoring tools: New Relic, Cloudwatch