What is a Software Engineer 4?
An Engineer 4 takes their rock-solid individual capabilities and uses them to act as a multiplier for the abilities of the other members of their team. This is a significant jump in responsibility from Engineer 3 — from this point forward, it's not about your individual contributions, it's about the overall success of the people who work with you. Engineer 4s live and breathe our culture, and accept responsibility for the health and security of the systems they work with. They work with their team to seek alignment in how we build so that their teammates can operate autonomously with confidence.
At Bench, one of our is that we're Default Open. Default Open means taking the time to define the things we care about, and sharing them. In this spirit, we've shared our engineering competencies with the world in a blog post . This document better outlines what an Engineer 4 looks like and what it takes to be a successful engineer at Bench.
Here’s what you’ll be up to:
- Work with the team on writing, testing, reviewing, deploying, monitoring and documenting code
- Organize and participate in planning sessions such as bi-weekly sprint planning
- Work on technical projects and collaborate the rest of the Platform Team to achieve goals
- Adopt and help evolve Bench software development best practices
- Use and maintain the continuous delivery pipeline tooling that helps the team deploy an average of 600 production releases per quarter
- Participate in diagnosing and resolving production incidents to ensure reliability and uptime
- Research and adopt new technologies, as appropriate
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Expertise in all things Cloud: We like to use Cloud vendors “as a service” offerings and understanding their features and benefits helps keep the show on the road!
- Strong Networking skills: Knowing how things are connected (or not!) makes troubleshooting and rolling our new technology a breeze.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code: Everything we do is in code, no exceptions! We combine Terraform and git to ensure there are no surprises.
- Experience with Containerisation and Orchestration: We love Kubernetes and our apps love Kubernetes! We are big fans of Docker and avoiding the “Well it runs on my machine” issue.
- Experience Architecting CI/CD pipelines: We deploy our code a lot and we want you to help keep those pipelines fast and easy to maintain for all of our developers.
- Monitoring and alerting: Know the importance of keeping track of how things are doing, and when to bring it to attention when it is not.
- A passion for continual growth: What’s next? What’s new? We are always looking to improve our Platform and we hope you are excited to explore new technology to do that.
It’s an even better fit if you have:
- Experience with secrets management: You won’t find any passwords in plaintext here! We are all about Vault and live in the ephemeral credentials world.
- Experience with Security: Keeping our platform safe is paramount to ours, and our customers, success.
- Experience with:
- AWS (e.g. VPC, EC2, RDS, Lambda)
- Hashicorp Vault
- Jenkins, CircleCI
- Terraform, Ansible, Vagrant
- MySQL, Postgres
- Python, Groovy, Golang
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.