The position will provide collaborative leadership for all Environmental, Health & Safety activities and programs for the Operation. This position will provide support to the plant in achieving the site-wide goal of eliminating work-related injuries.
Support includes evaluation of the worksite, training in OSHA and EPA related matters, proactive analysis of loss experience and recommendations regarding worksite environmental health and safety practices.
- Develops and implements company health and safety procedures, processes and programs which ensure the safety of the operation, which are compliant with OSHA, EPA, Company best practices and other local, state, and federal regulations.
- Leads the Safety Excellence & Leadership (SEAL) process and implementation/monitoring of NWL environmental compliance program for the facility. Supports internal & third party safety & environmental audits.
- Develops and implements safety & environmental awareness training material and programs with an emphasis on behavior-based safety, increasing hazard awareness, and supporting regulatory compliance and internal environmental management programs.
- Active leader in the investigation, documentation and analysis of accidents and injuries. Maintains a follow-up system to ensure corrective action is promptly implemented.
- Leads, develops or coordinates supervisory, new hire, and contractor training programs which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety & environmental consciousness.
- Responsible for serving as a technical resource to support associates, at all levels, on safety and environmental related issues. Maintains site compliance calendar tracking applicable safety & environmental reporting requirements ensuring compliance.
- Analyzes and assesses plant safety trend data to drive safety resource allocation and ergonomic initiatives to reduce injuries.
- Maintains good relationships with Workers’ compensation TPA’s and manages claims, including return to work practices.
- Maintains OSHA log, written safety plans, training records and otherreporting requirements.
- Conducts or coordinates a critical task assessment for the facility. Act as a resource to the Plant Leadership Team in assisting them to implement written Job Safety Analysis for tasks that are identified as critical tasks, within their departments.
- Responsible for inspecting the facility to detect existing or potential environmental health and safety hazards, including identification of opportunities to reduce safety and regulatory risk; supporting the development of engineering solutions, controls, and corrective/preventative measures where indicated.
- Manages the development of programs/events that build awareness, motivate associates to participate in plant safety & environmental initiatives. Recruit and select associates to participate as members of the Safety Committee, Ergonomics Committee, etc. and build an awareness culture within our plant.
- Conducts/participates in department meetings and promotes an open line of communication with other team members.
- Complete special assignments and projects on an as needed basis.
- Bachelor's degree in EH&S, Safety Engineering, Human Resources, or other relevant technical fields required.
- Three to five years of related safety and/or occupational health experience, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Proven track record of results in a fast changing environment. Action oriented - results driven.
- Demonstrated knowledge of OSHA & EPA regulations.
- Experience leading behavior-based initiatives preferred.
- Knowledgeable in Workers' Compensation case management including transition to work programs.
- Strong leadership, coaching and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated experience in project planning and management.
- Ability to gain employee commitment to site and company objectives.
- Demonstrates integrity and credibility in all aspects of responsibility.
- Works collaboratively at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision, under the guidance of the Director of Operations within the stated objectives and guidelines of the company.