OVERVIEW OF VULCAN MATERIALS COMPANY
Vulcan Materials Company is the nation's largest producer of construction aggregates and a major producer of aggregates-based construction materials including asphalt and ready-mixed concrete. We run our business with great discipline and integrity.
At Vulcan, our people share a competitive drive for excellence, in an environment of trust, teamwork, positive reinforcement, open-mindedness and communication.
Vulcan Materials Company looks for team members looking to start or continue a rewarding career. Vulcan offers a generous total rewards package, a diverse and inclusive culture, and opportunities for professional development. No matter the role or the location across the country, every member of the Vulcan team lives through the Vulcan Way: doing the right thing, the right way, at the right time.
Individual is responsible for managing and directing the activities of production and maintenance of hourly employees at a plant site location. Implements the production strategy for a facility. Manages the operations associated with aggregate production including quarrying, mining, processing, stockpiling, loading and shipping. Responsible for the safety, health and environmental (SHE) aspects of the facility, fixed and mobile equipment maintenance, product quality, and employee and community relations. Supervises the facility's salaried and union and/or non-union hourly workforce.
1. Manages and supervises activities of hourly production and maintenance employees;
2. Approves the selection, hiring, training, change of status and separation of employees;
3. Plans and schedules production requirements (people & equipment) to support daily, weekly and monthly sales forecast to meet customer's needs;
4. Provides coaching and disciplinary counseling to employees under his or her area of responsibility (includes employee relations and administration of collective bargaining agreements region specific);
5. Identifies, assesses, prioritizes, and resolves production and employee related problems;
6. Administers and enforces Company and Region policies and procedures;
7. Ensures that the plant meets all SHE policies and practices at the site location and works with SHE Regional employees and Company officials to promote a safe work environment that meets all State and Federal rules and regulations;
8. Insures that employees receive proper training and instructions to perform assigned job duties;
9. Works closely with sales staff, technical service, and customers to ensure that products meet customer needs and expectations;
10. Participates in developing an annual operating budget which includes production volume and capital improvements;
11. Manages plant production operation to ensure cost efficiency and optimal utilization of plant and equipment;
12. Responsible for ensuring that the site meets or exceeds operating budget;
13. Works with sales on identification and elimination of customer issues and concerns to improve customer satisfaction and relations;
14. Works on the implementation of cost saving programs and/or continuous improvement activities to reduce costs and improve operating efficiency;
15. Participates in Operation's short and long range business planning;
16. Manages daily production meetings on the daily running and operations of the plant;
17. Initiates action for environmental permits and prepares reports for various public agencies and coordinates with Legal Department or outside legal counsel or regulating agencies on compliance issues;
18. Utilizes appropriate resources and recommendations in community relations and legislative efforts and actively participates in the area's community outreach and educational programs; and
19. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
? High School Diploma required. BS / BA degree, Associates degree, or an equivalent combination of training and work experiencepreferred.
? Minimum of 5 years prior work experience in supervising production employees preferably at either an aggregate, sand/gravel or asphalt plant. Construction materials industry experiencepreferred.
? Experience in the management of union employees (region specific)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
? Knowledge and understanding of modern principles and practices of supervising production employees
? Thorough working knowledge of plant operation aggregate, and its associated products, processes and related equipment.
? Knowledge of safety and environmental rules and regulations (MSHA and OSHA).
? Knowledge and understanding of business planning and financialforecasting requirements.
? Knowledge of drilling and blasting.
? Excellent leadership, communication, organization, conflict and problem resolution skills.
? Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google, Oracle Business Environment and other software packages relevant to the position.
? Ability to plan and manage effectively using motivation and team building skills.
? Good organization skills; excellent problem solving skills and practices.
? Flexible to work long hours and travel when needed.
? Must have the ability to lift 50 pounds and to stand, sit and walk for long periods of time.
? Must have the ability to drive a pick-up truck on a daily basis.
? Requires use of computerized equipment and technology.
? This position requires knowledge and awareness of site hazards. Must be able to wear required personal protective equipment (PPE).
? Position requires ability to work at multiple sites depending on business needs.
? Must be willing to work a rotating schedule with varying shifts.
? Ability to work in a stressful, deadline oriented environment that requires complex, technical information and decision making. Must be able to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
? Work environment will be both indoors in an office and outside in the quarry or plant. In the office employee will occasionally be required to sit at a desk or operator's station. In the outside setting employee will perform activities at various heights, around moving machinery, be exposed to dust, fumes and gases; may be required to use hand tools or power tools. Outside setting will expose employee to changes in temperature/humidity and will require walking on uneven surfaces. May be required to climb steps, stoop, bend, squat, kneel, crawl or reach above shoulders to accomplish functions of job. Position will require ability to operate automobile within plant site as well as on the open road which would require the use of both feet as well as being able to walk or climb.
? Overnight travel may be required.
The overall success of Vulcan Materials depends on our employees. They make the difference, so we invest in them. Vulcan Materials Company offers a generous compensation program and benefits package to our employees that includes:
? Medical, Dental, and Vision programs
? Paid vacations and holidays
? Basic and supplemental life insurance- employee and family coverage
? 401(k) with an exceptional match and company contribution; and
? Flexible Spending and Medical Savings accounts.
Vulcan Materials Company is committed to employing a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability. You also have the right to be free from discrimination for medical needs arising from pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions.