Overall direction of the plant to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local rules and regulations. Manufacturing practices to assure a high degree of safety and process capability. Lead the continuous improvement efforts within the plant. Ensure the cost effective manufacture of plant production
Participate within the community to ensure that appropriate dialogue with the community is conducted and involved in any decisions that may affect the operation of the plant.
- Analyze manufacturing results to assure safe and environmentally sound operations, acceptable product yields, productivity and cost
- Participate within the community
- Provide support to the sales and business teams as required to meet customer’s needs, SOIP involvement
- Recommend and review capital spending plans to ensure regulatory compliance and improve operating costs or capabilities.
- Subordinate Development activities to ensure a highly trained and effective workforce
- Work with Novecare Plant Managers to have consistent policies and practices
- Support Novecare and Solvay initiatives by active participation on task force assignments
- Responsible to deliver EBITDA and cash objectives.
- Support the plant’s quality management systems and its compliance with pertinent quality standards.
- Fully participate in plant HSE initiatives including performing periodic audits and housekeeping inspections.
- Instill discipline and accountability in execution of procedures of Life Critical procedures. Lead this effort by example.
- Enforce all site and Solvay safety rules and procedures within the maintenance and engineering departments as well as contractors used in these activities. Lead by example.
- Assure appropriate HSE training is provided to all direct and indirect reports.
- Assure all safety inspections and audits are performed and documented.
- Assure mechanical integrity program is maintained and adhered to.
- Conduct periodic inspections to assure compliance to existing safety rules and procedures and to assess the effectiveness and need for other risk reduction activities within the departments.
- Assure all contractors understand and adhere to plant safety rules and procedures.
- Participate in regulatory and internal audits as needed.
- Represent Solvay through daily actions that reinforce the corporate values demonstrating personal commitment to a safe, healthy and environmentally sound workplace for employees.
- Conduct or direct the completion of investigation of incidents or near misses, as appropriate, and insure corrective actions are identified, assigned, and completed
Education and Experience
- Requires broad knowledge of general chemical and engineering disciplines usually gained through a degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent Engineering or Chemistry discipline, with 8 - 10 years of experience in the chemical industry. An MBA is also a plus.
- Working knowledge of all Health, Safety and Environmental standards, particularly related to personnel and process safety, air, waste, and water compliance.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices (GAPP) as it relates to Manufacturing Plants.
- Experience working with unionized labor and negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Leadership skills are necessary for directing, motivating, and developing subordinates.
- Negotiating skills for working with governmental regulatory agencies and customers.
- Active Community involvement experience (United Way Chair, LEPC, etc.) a plus.