The plant manager is responsible for the safe and efficient operation and production of the oils packaging facility. The principal function of this position is to lead the people and to manage equipment, logistics and expenses associated with multiple packaging lines, the warehousing of packaged product and the transportation of product to the customers from the facility to the edible oils market. The plant manager will have a strong understanding of how each production process works and be ready to implement changes as necessary.
The plant manager ensures that production goals are met and that the plant operates in a profitable and safe fashion. This is done by managing the assets and human resources at the plant and working closely with local and national sales, Oils supply chain, and local suppliers and plant managers of other Bunge Oils plants.
The plant manager is the overall site executive and is responsible for the entire workings of the plant, including all manufacturing, purchasing, distribution operations as well as manufacturing support functions: safety, engineering, continuous improvement, scheduling and maintenance.
- Maintain a clean and safe plant. Provide an injury-free work environment for employees, staff, contractors, visitors through engagement, training programs, good work practices, Bunge standards, and proactive elimination of exposures. Continually improve safety record by addressing both physical safety issues and employee safety attitudes. Maintain and improve housekeeping in all areas.
- Plan, organize and direct the manufacturing and maintenance operations which ensure the most effective return on assets.
- Initiate plans and processes which minimize manufacturing costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, materials, and capital. Assure attainment of business objectives and productions schedules while ensuring product standards that will exceed our customers’ expectations. Reduce costs and improve efficiencies in all areas of plant operations. Operate the site at the highest levels of efficiency by managing equipment reliability and managing site spending and expenses to minimum levels required to meet site strategy.
- Ensure that the product being manufactured meets Bunge’s and our customers’ standards, policies and practices through the proper implementation and maintenance of all aspects of quality systems
- Implement manufacturing strategies and action plans to ensure that the facility supports Bunge’s strategic initiatives.
- Establish group and individual accountabilities throughout all plant departments for safety leadership, problem solving and cost reduction.
- Encourage use of new techniques and focus on fact-based problem solving.
- Manage spending against budget and in relation to changes in production volume.
- Ensure the proper planning, design and implementation capital and expense projects consistent with site strategy.
- Ensure proper and timely supply of material requirements through planning oil and packaging supply purchases.
- Establish and maintain a positive community relationship.
- Ensure proper maintenance of site equipment and infrastructure.
- Assure that employee relations are managed effectively and with respect and care. Properly utilize resources. Foster a well-trained and motivated staff. Responsible for establishing all shift production schedules. Select and train plant supervisory and administrative staff. Conduct employee performance reviews. Schedule and conduct plant meetings.
- Participates in annual business planning and budgeting of the plant.
- Confers regularly with senior management to ensure that manufacturing objectives and business goals are being met.
- It is expected that the person in this position will spend up to 50 percent of their time in the work areas engaging employees, overseeing production lines and troubleshooting. The remainder of their time is spent in an office performing administrative and planning functions. Since they are ultimately responsible for the safety and production of the plant, they often work more than 40 hours per week to meet expectations.
- Additional projects and duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or technical field, MBA is a plus.
- 10 years management and supervisory experience in production operations with a minimum of 5 years in the edible oil industry.
- Ability to work collaboratively on teams with other leaders throughout the organization.
- Strong leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
- Votation experience is an asset and knowledge of packaging equipment, pumps, etc. are necessary.
- Superior communication skills in dealing with all levels of staff, including hourly workforce and senior management.
- Some working knowledge of SAP preferred.
- Ability to work self-directed (day to day), high level of initiative, priority setting.
Bunge (NYSE: BG) is a world leader in sourcing, processing and supplying oilseed and grain products and ingredients. Founded in 1818, Bunge’s expansive network feeds and fuels a growing world, creating sustainable products and opportunities for more than 70,000 farmers and the consumers they serve across the globe. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri and has 25,000 employees worldwide who stand behind more than 350 port terminals, oilseed processing plants, grain facilities, and food and ingredient production and packaging facilities around the world.