5 - 7 years experience • Business Services
The Plant Manager is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the Fort Saskatchewan oilseed crushing/processing facility. Included is the day-to-day oversight of plant safety, ensuring compliance with the Process Safety Management program, plant costs and budgets, monitoring and ongoing improvement of plant productivity, risk management, supervision of employees, interaction with various corporate entities and other functions related to general operations of Bunge North America’s (BNA) canola crushing/processing facility. We are looking for an experienced manufacturing plant manager that is a charismatic, strong leader able to implement processes and efficiencies and focus on safety, production, and cost. Food Manufacturing is an asset but not essential for this position. Will consider relocation for the right candidate.
The successful candidate will understand and demonstrate a commitment to safety first.
The Fort Saskatchewan facility employs approximately 53 employees.
• Maintain a clean and safe plant. Provide an injury-free work environment for employees, staff, contractors, visitors through engagement, job hazard analysis (JHAs), training programs, good work practices, Bunge standards, and proactive elimination of exposures. Continually improve safety record by addressing both physical safety issues and employee safety behaviours. Maintain and improve housekeeping in all areas.
• Initiate plans and processes which minimize manufacturing costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, materials, and capital. Assure attainment of business objectives and production schedules while ensuring product standards that will exceed our customers’ expectations. Reduce costs and improve efficiencies in all areas of plant operations.
• Implement manufacturing strategies and action plans to ensure that the facility supports Bunge’s strategic initiatives.
• Establish group and individual accountabilities throughout all plant departments for safety leadership, problem solving and cost reduction.
• Encourage use of new techniques and focus on fact based problem solving.
• Improve manpower utilization within existing departments and processes.
• Maintain individual skills keeping up to date with latest production and production management concepts.
• Operate the site at the highest levels of efficiency by managing equipment reliability and Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) and managing site spending and expenses to minimum levels required to meet site strategy.
• Ensure the proper planning, design and implementation of capital and expense projects consistent with site strategy.
• Ensure that the product being manufactured meets Bunge’s and our customers’ standards, policies and practices through the proper implementation and maintenance of all aspects of quality systems such as GMP,
• Establish and maintain a positive community relationship.
• Ensure proper maintenance of site equipment and infrastructure.
• Properly utilize resources. Foster a well-trained and motivated staff. Conduct employee performance reviews. Schedule and conduct plant meetings.
• Participates in annual business planning and budgeting of the plant.
• Consult regularly with senior management to ensure that manufacturing objectives and business goals are being met.
• Engage and motivate the workforce through an active presence on the production floor.
• Additional projects and duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
• Prefer a post-secondary education in food science and/or engineering field.
• 5 to 10 years’ experience with 5 years of management and supervisory experience in plant operations.
• Experience in the canola processing/edible oil industry or closely related field is helpful but not required.
• Demonstrated leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential
• Proven ability to engage and motivate teams
• Strong organizational skills required so as to constantly keep in touch with various departments of the organization
• Ability to work closely with all business functions
• Superior communication skills in dealing with all levels of staff, including hourly workforce and senior management
• Proficiency in MS Office required, working knowledge of SAP strongly preferred.
• Strong financial/business acumen is required to be successful in this role as much of the position entails meeting the budget and productivity requirements of the plant.
• Ability to work self-directed (day to day) with a high level of initiative, priority setting
• Facility is a 24/7 operation, selected candidate must be able to work on average 50 hours per week and be available during business critical situations
Leadership: Demonstrates the ability to motivate, energize, align and promote change in others related to a common purpose and objectives.
• Visioning and Alignment: Engages others by communicating a picture of future possibilities and shared purpose to work collectively toward common objectives
• Strategic Thinking: Analyzes and applies a broad organizational and business perspective to identify and maintain focus on key drivers of organizational performance.
• Talent Management: Maximizes team member capabilities by identifying talent, providing ongoing coaching/mentoring and feedback, supporting opportunities for growth and development.
Relationship Management: Builds trusting, productive relationships with internal/external customers, team members, colleagues and stakeholders through transparent, genuine, influential communications.
• Business Management: Demonstrates the ability to plan, organize, improve and execute activities related to business operations.
• Organizational Perspective: Adopts a systemic perspective, defining and leveraging the ideas, resources and unique perspectives of Bunge’s diverse local and global groups.
• Change and Innovation: Actively supports exploration of new ideas, calculated risk-taking and choices/initiatives that can make a significant impact.
• Performance and Results Orientation: Maintains focus on key performance drivers, continuously improves processes, and consistently delivers results.