Plant Manager - Brookings, SD
Summary: Lead plant team to optimize product quality, production rates, yield and plant efficiency while meeting safety, environmental/regulatory and financial goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform all job duties and challenge others to perform in a safe manner, comply with all regulatory requirements and continually challenge performance to get to the next level for long term profitability of the business;
- Lead plant team to meet or exceed goals and targets in areas of safety, production rates, yields, quality, efficiencies and cost;
- Balance safe operations, product quality, production rates, yields and efficiencies;
- Supporttroubleshooting efforts for production issues;
- Meet Operating Budget by managing expenses. Participate in annual capital and operating budget planning and development;
- Oversee EHS functions, placing personnel and industrial safety ahead of all else, ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Oversee production operations, ensuring alignment for plan with sales projections, optimize plant operations using historical data, determining operating parameters/procedures and operator knowledge;
- Oversee maintenance activities, ensuring plant team performs requirements of maintenance program in its scope of duties. Identify problems before failure, interface with CMMS for proper recording and identification of corrective measures. Resolve repeat or significant failures thru root cause failure analysis.
- Oversee laboratory operations to meet safety, environmental, regulatory and product quality assurance requirements. Utilize effective laboratory process monitoring to supplement instrumentation in the process to achieve optimal results;
- Oversee Plant Engineering functions including plant optimization, PSM compliance and capital project process;
- Lead plant shutdown planning processes and work execution assignments;
- Participate in off-hours on-call program thru scheduled rotational assignments.
- Develop key leaders across plant positions
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer FLSA Status: Exempt
Education and Pertinent/Proven Experience. The minimum requirements for education and experience are listed below. Consideration will be given to individuals with an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering is preferred with minimum 7years related experience in supervisory and management positions; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in hexane extraction process plant preferred.
Communications: Strong written and verbal presentation capabilities, with the ability to make presentations to Board of Directors, Senior Management, investors, lenders, producers, customers and other groups including plant tours.
Organizational Skills: Skill and experience to establish and maintain inventory tracking systems that are acceptable to management and regulatory agencies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have expertise and proficiency with spreadsheet software and basic knowledge of word processing software plus experience both researching issues and accessing information on the Internet. Specific knowledge of grain management software and systems is desirable.
Certificates and Licenses:
Carries out supervisory responsibilities within the plant operations area as assigned in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Participate with interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment / Physical Requirements
This position operates in a process plant environment with strict safety, regulatory and conduct standards. The individual may be exposed to noise, heat and other elements in outdoor and indoor environments. While performing duties of this position, the individual may be exposed to moving, mechanical parts, dusty conditions, high noise levels and chemicals. Specific physical requirements include:
- Occasionally working in confined spaces,
- Wearing proper respiratory protection,
- Occasionally lifting weight up to 50#,
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders,
- Bending, twisting and turning while lifting weights up to 50#,
- Sitting at a desk for extended periods of time,
- Working at heights and temperatures from -20 to 100+ degrees,
- Standing for extended periods of time,
- Working on elevated platforms and surfaces.