Plant Manager Heartland Harvest
Are you the unique combination of a fantastic plant manager and leader in a growth environment? And big bonus if you know extrusion as well!!
If yes, this position may be for you! As the most senior on-site leader of our small but growing manufacturing facility in Kankakee, IL, you will lead all facets of the operation including the development of a culture that embraces teamwork, collaboration, safety, quality and customer focus.
Basic American Foods, Inc., owns this plant, so it has the stability of more substantial ownership but is run as a wholly owned subsidiary, so it feels more like a small, growing, start-up environment. This opportunity comes with the excitement and challenges of a growing start-up, so perseverance and flexibility are critical competencies you will bring.
In this role, you will:
- Direct plant safety programs. Ensure a safe working environment for all employees. Monitor safety performance and assure compliance with established policies, procedures, and goals. Achieve high levels of food safety by compliance with all applicable Federal and State laws and statues, Company policies and customer requirements. Model expected behavior with regard to performing safety observations on a regular basis.
- Provide leadership, training, coaching, and oversight of continuous improvement efforts in the plant. This includes leading the plant leadership in setting continuous improvement goals, establishing project plans, measuring performance, and ongoing accountability. Eliminate waste through the application of continuous improvement practices throughout the enterprise and reduce wasted motion through the proper design of the work environment. Manage plant performance by using Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) to ensure clarity of objectives and progress against said objectives.
- Facilitate the efficient use of raw materials in the conversion to finished goods for our customers. Manages facility manufacturing organization. Direct functional support groups as necessary to meet manufacturing objectives. Oversee the development, implementation, and sustainability of process improvements and enhancements to reduce costs without sacrificing safety or quality. Ensure all quality specifications and standards are met.
- Monitor manufacturing and supporting processes to ensure products are delivered on time at the lowest total cost by conforming precisely to the customer's requirements. Provide appropriate customer support as requested. Execution of the production schedule to meet customers' expectations. Evaluate future capacity needs and explore options to reconcile supply and demand. Ensure preventative maintenance program is established and followed.
- Establish a working environment that allows employees every opportunity to reach their potential. Direct all related activities for direct reports and hourly employees including employee selection, appraisals and development plans, counseling and motivation, and compensation for direct reports. Ensure a proactive approach to training and developing employees is consistently followed. Lead employee engagement efforts to optimize employee performance.
- Bachelor of Science degree, preferably in engineering, and eight to ten years of experience with a minimum of four years leadership in a food manufacturing environment or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extrusion knowledge/expertise preferred
- Proven leadership abilities
- Proven track record in continuous improvement in a manufacturing environment
- Strong computer skills for effective use of planning software tools and the Microsoft Office suite
- Partnering and working with cross-functional teams
- Ability to work autonomously and manage a wide variety of projects simultaneously
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, including presentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Highly developed analytical reasoning skills
- Ability to formulate sound conclusions and recommend the optimal course of action based on analysis
- Enthusiastic team player with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to lead by example, embodying the established company values