Defines and implements specific policies and guidelines, aligned with local and international legal obligations. Takes final decision on budget and allocation of financial, material and personnel resources. Analyses local laws concerning HSE issues. Implements and communicates overall guidelines to management and staff. Coordinates planning, organization, and implementation of concrete HSE programs and projects. Monitors existing and potential environmental concerns and recommends priorities for resolution. Decides programs for remedial action. Maintains accountable relationships with regulatory and government agency personnel. Assigns response teams for critical incidents. Attends external forums to represent the organization.
- Is responsible for leading all aspects of the occupational health and safety function including, compliance initiatives, exposure assessment, industrial hygiene, training development, risk assessments, record keeping, reporting, and emergency response.
- Is responsible for leading all aspects of the environmental function, including, compliance initiatives, waste management, pollution prevention, air emissions management, waste minimization, eco-efficiency initiatives and wastewater management.
- Develops and implements plans and training for responses to fire, chemical spills, first aid, etc.
- Serves as emergency coordinator and maintains 24-hour response for corporation.
- Drives HSE best practices forward along the maturity path in areas to include auditing, accident and near miss investigation, process reviews, and development of policies and procedures.
- Interprets, recommends, and audits compliance activities at this site with respect to regulations and/or company policy.
- Assures compliance with safety, health and environmental laws and regulations issued by, OSHA, EPA and other federal and local agencies.
- Oversees the administration of workers compensation program, including communication with providers and insurance carriers.
- Creates and implements light duty program to effectively minimize company exposure to costs associated with workers compensation.
- Reviews all new product, equipment modifications or process developments with regards to HSE implications at the plant location (s).
- Assists in planning for changes in physical facilities to meet regulatory requirements or business changes or initiatives.
- Handles of all regulatory correspondence, permitting and reporting as well as all interaction with a variety of agencies, including OSHA, State and local fire and health officials.
- Facilitates the site's HSE tactical plan and annual goal setting process.
- Supervises support and contract personnel (fluid management and nurse) in the coordination of environmental, safety and health compliance.
- Is responsible for leading and coordinating implementation of ISO14001 and obtaining and maintaining certification.
- Supports company-wide efforts and coordinates with corporate HSE resolution of critical problems and projects.
- Understand and adhere to current health, safety, and environmental policies (ISO14001). Is empowered to identify, stop, and communicate or escalate appropriate action in regards to safety, health, and environmental concerns.
- Understands current quality policies and procedures (IATF 16949). Is empowered to identify, stop, and communicate or escalate appropriate action in regards to product quality.
- Performs other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in Industrial Safety, Industrial Hygiene or Environmental Science Fields is required. A Master degree in Business, or related field is preferred.
- Certification as a Health and Safety Manager or similar credential preferred.
- Is capable of providing training to large audiences at all levels of the organization.
- Has the ability to identify potential risks and utilizes problem solving methods to eliminate such risk.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Strong analytical skills are required.
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence others.
- Results orientation and strong bias for action and keen sense of urgency
- Ability to effectively present information to the employees and the management group.
- A minimum of 7 years of HSE experience is required preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- A minimum of 3 years of HSE experience at a management level is required.