- Ensures capital project best practices are used during the planning and execution phase through mentoring and coaching of project team members and by developing and communicating work process and standards.
- Lead construction and engineering sourcing strategies to achieve best value capital execution. Experience in Lump Sum and EPC project execution approaches is a plus.
- Validate site and corporate reports have followed established company work processes for project management and execution (i.e. FEL, MOC’s Project Management, HAZOP, etc).
- Coordinate stakeholder reviews to insure facilitators are assigned and at times serve as the facilitator or management representative.
- Provide monthly report and financial tracking to the Operating Committee.
- Track progress of projects to ensure they are meeting agreed to deliverables.
- Participate in preparing mitigation plans with individual project managers, as needed, for putting projects back on track.
- Ensure that all projects > $1 million comply with corporate work processes including: Technical Review Process, FEL Process, Stakeholder Review Process, and Commissioning/Start-up Work Process.
- Makes recommendations and supports changes to improve the engineering process and project implementation system.
- Provide and oversee process engineering (Stepan and contract) resources to implement capital improvement projects. Ensuring project deliverables (SDR, F&CD, equipment specifications and preliminary layouts) are complete and agreed to by area, maintenance and safety.
- Ensure project documentation (P&ID’s, electrical single lines, fabricated equipment drawings / calculations, arc flash studies, etc.) are accurate and available.
- Coordinate capital implementation efforts with area technical managers, area superintendents and Corporate capital effectiveness leader.
- Provide input to monthly CAPEX reporting
- Manage and develop a team of site project managers, process engineers, and process control engineering function in developing, prioritizing and executing capital projects.
- Ensure that appropriate resource are allocated to each project so that they are completed on-time, on-budget and incident-free. Work with each project teams to ensure they are adequately staffed and properly resourced.
- Work with cPMO to ensure site projects are properly prioritized and therefore resourced effectively to meet company needs.
- Develop, manage and coach site wide process and production engineers to:
- Provide training guidance and opportunities; and
- Develop succession plans for key individuals / positions
- Responsible for performance management of process engineers and assuring that all area performance appraisals are accurate
- Responsible for succession planning of process engineers
- Recruit and select plant engineers.
- Hold process engineers accountable against performance expectations and stated responsibilities
- Influence and motivate team members through recognition, training and developmental assignments, and promoting teamwork
- Ensure that engineering resources align with current and future plans
- Involved in the continuous improvement process for the project management and process engineering work practices, and will have an active role in reviewing, critiquing and recommending best practices that will improve on delivering the most cost efficient and timely projects.
- Complete projects within the AFE budget, on time as defined when submitting the AFE and to the objectives stated in the project justification.
- Develop and implement value improving processes to be used in the FEL engineering work process.
- Collaborates with corporate engineering (ML capital effectiveness leader) to execute budgeted capital plan
- Identify and deliver cost reduction opportunities for the Engineering organization and site operations
- Contribute to establishing a budget and manage controllable costs for department
- Support Purchasing in identifying and retaining quality, low cost providers of fabricated equipment
Environmental Health & Safety
- Promotes capital project best practices during the planning and execution phase through mentoring and coaching of project team members and by developing and communicating work process and standards.
- Drive continuous improvement in EHS performance within projects
- Ensure the project is designed and executed to the appropriate environmental, health and safety standards and policies set by the company and appropriate regulatory requirements.
- Take an active role in the safe construction of capital projects.
- Ensure that Safety plans are developed when needed for capital projects.
- Promote an environment that achieves incident free performance through diligent proactive safety efforts and job safety planning.
- Ensure that Project Managers execute budgeted capital projects to ensure the safe maintenance and operation of plant and equipment in compliance with internal and legislative requirements (site and corporate policies/procedures).
- Actively participate in site and Corporate safety programs to continually improve the safety culture of the plant and the company.
- Critically review new technology and other process changes being implemented through change management processes.
- Provide and Manage process engineering resources to :
- Ensure new implemented capital processes comply with all regulatory, Corporate and site EHS standards.
- Ensure MOC / PHA / PSSR process is followed for all capital related projects.
- Ensure new capital installations are functionally checked and critically reviewed for incident free start-up
- Ensure PFD’s and P&ID’s are field verified and current for PHA reviews.
- Review and recommend new / modified relief system installations
- Support and promote the use of the Stepan Quality tools as the vehicle for continuous improvement
- Ensure effective quality management processes are developed and used to enhance the effective delivery of capital
- Develop and maintain plant / corporate engineering and construction standards to minimize life cycle costs and provide more reliable, stable operations. Responsible for ensuring that the construction quality meets regulatory and company standards. Efforts need to focus in the following areas: QA for Engineering and Design, QA for purchased equipment, QA for Construction Quality.
- Ensure the quality of construction meets the company’s standards and specs for equipment installation. Ensure that equipment installation will allow for safe and efficient plant operations.
- Bachelor’s degreerequired, Master’s degreepreferred
- 5-8 years of experiencerequired, 8-10 years preferred
- Experience in chemical manufacturing industry preferred