This position will provide proactive leadership, strategic direction, and technical support to the operations of the facility in the areas of preventive/predictive maintenance, process engineering, technology modernization, automation, process improvement, and cost improvement.
Essential Functions & Key Responsibilities:
- Advance initiatives which promote and sustain the safety, health, and welfare of all personnel.
- Provide leadership and direction to the maintenance team. Inspire high performance through effective goal setting and performance measurement.
- Implement and institutionalize the Business Unit’s standardized preventive and predictive maintenance system (utilizing TPM, Lean, Six Sigma doctrine).
- Design and cause minimum effort shop floor / warehouse layouts and flow paths.
- Design, implement and institutionalize “best practice” quick change procedures, processes and equipment modifications (SMED).
- Design and cause process and equipment safety modifications (added layers of protection).
- Teach, coach, develop, and effectively deploy all subordinate and connection personnel.
- Perpetuate continuous reduction in waste, downtime, setup/make ready, and cost.
- Troubleshoot process and operations problems utilizing structured problem solving techniques which reveal the root cause of the problem.
- Drive process improvement and problem solving through Lean / Six Sigma principles and root cause analysis.
- Establish a collaborative working relationship with his/her Business Unit connections.
- Assess and evaluate facility maintenance personnel and make recommendations to the Plant Manager regarding strategies to remedy training, skills, or performance deficiencies.
- Provide direction, assistance, and resources necessary to inventory, organize and control MRO spares. Establish optimal spares inventory levels to ensure effective maintenance operation.
- Effectively utilize Maximo maintenance software to drive preventive and predictive maintenance activities. This will include tracking and analysis of work order performance, development of detailed PM tasks and schedules, and analysis of breakdowns and failures.
- Manage all outside service contractors. Ensure contractor compliance with plant safety requirements.
- Initiate, write, manage, and effectively lead the process for Capital Expenses.
- Construct, evaluate and report out maintenance and engineering results for the facility.
- Complete SQF or other food safety corrective actions and be directly involved in food safety audit procedures.
- B.S. degree in industrial, mechanical, electrical, or process engineering required. A master’s degree, related post education training certifications (PLC and controls), and 3-5 years related experience in a manufacturing environment utilizing TQM, ISO, Lean Manufacturing, and/or Six Sigma is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of successful hands-on engineering/maintenance management experience in an industrial environment, preferably a high volume plastics converting operation.
- Computer systems knowledge including experience with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Auto-CAD, and Maximo2.
- Resourceful problem solver with proven ability to bring quick resolution to challenging situations.
- Team player with ability to build lasting productive business relationships with hourly associates, management, and peers.
- Ability to effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, customers or suppliers.