Responsible for managing the activities of the maintenance department of a large complex plant to keep building and equipment in proper state of repair, in order to reduce mechanical downtime and keep product flow and production lines running at maximum efficiency. Responsible for the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventative/ Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.).
- Responsible for the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventive and Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.).
- Ensures appropriate scheduling of work to promote maximum amount completed with minimal plant downtime, resulting in higher plant efficiency.
Maintenance Staff and Safety
- Manages the maintenance staff through delegation, policy and procedure administration, assignment of work responsibilities, planning, organizing, directing and follow-up of the work assignment.
- Promotes plant safety performance through administration, enforcement of company and plant policies, procedures and training consistent with the objectives of Smithfield and in compliance with Federal and State agencies.
- Accountable for providing long term solutions and day-to-day support to all operating teams having issues with troubleshooting, problem analysis, equipment failures, etc.
- Ensures the smooth daily operation of the plant with minimal repetitive issues.
- Capital project development and post-approval management.
- Manages and schedules project elements to ensure minimal interruption to plant operations.
- Delivers finished projects as designed, on time and on budget with no safety, food safety or environmental issues.
Key Performance Indicators
- Develops and/or maintains Key Performance Indicators for tracking and reporting the performance of the maintenance function (supplier performance, equipment reliability, overall equipment effectiveness, etc.).
- In the absence of key personnel the employee's supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 8+ years' relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor's Degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years' experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- High level of leadership skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Possess advanced technical skills in the mechanical/electrical fields (e.g. PLCs, instrumentation, mechanical engineering, etc.) and is able to lead resource planning efforts in a large manufacturing environment.
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance systems, work order process, preventive/predictive maintenance, TPM, etc.
- Ability to use exposure monitoring equipment, interpret and communicate results.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Word.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, technical and presentation skills required.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Maintenance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.