Perform detailed control system design and software development for moderately complex engineering assignments, which are stand-alone, or components of a larger project. This position applies specific knowledge of automated and process control systems to manufacturing processes with minimal supervision.
- Ensure compliance and perform all duties in accordance with all safety, health and environmental rules and regulations.
- Develop and implement results oriented, value-added engineering solutions that achieve predetermined project goals and customer needs and/or requirements.
- Develop project documentation defining standards, detailed reports, specifications, plans, prints, schematics and/or other necessary documentation required to achieve defined project goals.
- Develop detailed design of automation and process control systems that integrate PCs, PLCs, AC or DC Drives, Position Controllers, single or multi-loop controllers.
- Integrate statistical control components into system design including basic control charting, real time & historical trending, remote monitoring and data acquisition / control.
- Develop, install and debug control system programming including PC operating, PC / PLC communications, PLC HMI and/or specialty component software.
- Lead and/or guide internal or external engineering resources to ensure adherence to project goals and objectives.
- Implement standard engineering and project management practices consistently throughout project and work assignments.
- Maintain technical skills and knowledge by attending trade shows or clinics; investigate new equipment applications with consulting engineers & equipment venders, and specific course work.
- Lead development and training efforts of field operation and maintenance personnel in the design features, process operation, interpretation of system information, and application of that information regarding control system functionality.
- Witness testing and system site quality control.
- Train plant electricians on processes.
- Monitor installation quality.
- Perform all duties in accordance with safety rules and regulations.
- Perform other duties as necessary
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Detailed working knowledge of networking equipment and software, routers and cabling.
- Detailed working knowledge of plant PLCs and HMI software.
- Detailed working knowledge of all HMI hardware and software in use including Wonderware Intouch and Active Factory.
- Detailed working knowledge of AC & DC drives, coordinated drives systems and position control systems.3
- Knowledge of medium and high voltage systems.
- Knowledge of IT systems, PC hardware and software, servers, fiber optic cabling and networkswitches.
- Knowledge of statistical control techniques and programs such as SPC, SQC and SCADA systems.
- Comply with minimum skills defined in the Engineering Competency Matrix.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to influence or guide people to allow successful completion of objectives.
- Knowledge and understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Ability to function on multi-discipline or multi-functional teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering field or equivalent.
- 5+ years experience in automation and process control systems and techniques.
- Or any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities of this position.
- This position works in both an office environment and in a manufacturing environment.
- Work breakdown as 5% administrative, 95% technical
- Moderate to frequent travel during plant construction requiring a flexible schedule.