The Manager of Planning develops, executes, and communicates strategic merchandise financial plans that support the company’s financial, product, and marketing objectives. The role is responsible for driving top-line financial plans from a divisional level to an account level, strategically managing the business in order to maximize sales and margin, and optimizing inventory. The Manager develops and contributes to the development of brand initiatives, ensuring that all planning activities support annual goals.
- Create strategic financial plans that support the company’s objectives and brand goals from a top-down perspective.
- At an account level, develop pre-season sales, gross margin, and inventory plans that support the company’s profit objectives.
- Collaborate with the sales team and direct reports in planning to facilitate pre-season assortment plans.
- Manage quarterly gross margin/VA reconciliation process.
- Meet with planners to understand OTB forecasts, pricing ladders, and category opportunities.
- Manage monthly ship spread bookings forecast.
- Prepare strategic documents for account meetings and market appointments.
- Develop, train, and lead planning team, including planners and retail analysts to tactically manage liabilities and drive opportunities.
- Identify top talent and infuse new bench strength within organization to support succession planning.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 5-7 years wholesale/retail planning experience.
- Strong analytical/retail math skills.
- Ability to present and recommend strategies and build a business case.
- Capacity to drive business to exceed company plans.
- Skilled at leading and developing team of direct reports.
- Knowledge of strategic forecasting for a multidimensional business.
- Capable to successfully assume additional areas of accountability.
- Ability to Influence and negotiate at a variety of levels.
- Project management skills.
- Motivation to exceed revenue goals.
- Ability to think strategically and implement tactically.
- Ability to multi-task and establish strong cross-functional relationships.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including ability to present complex material in an organized and compelling manner.
- Well-versed in planning and allocation systems, as well as advanced Microsoft windows applications.
- PC Skills: MSOffice (Excel, PowerPoint, word), MS Outlook.