Sony PlayStation Visual Arts is looking for a Pipeline Technical Director to join our San Diego development team. The role requires experience and understanding of visual effects pipelines and version control systems, strong python programming skills, and extensive experience with Maya.
Sony PlayStation Visual Arts is dedicated to providing the highest quality artistic support to first-party Sony PlayStation game teams developing titles for the PS4. We offer services including asset scanning, actor scanning, body motion capture, facial motion capture, motion edit, animation, facial tracking and solving, and lighting. As a service group, we have the privilege of working with multiple game developers on a variety of titles. The Technical Art team works directly with clients to replicate and maintain their work environments in the studio and guarantee the quality of the final delivery.
As Pipeline Technical Director, you are responsible for planning, setting up and maintaining the technical pipeline on all projects, including environment management, workflow tools and automation. You will lead a team of technical artists to ensure all project technical needs are met. You will work with our proprietary pipeline software to create custom automation and tools based per project. You are responsible for writing tools for artists for various software packages, troubleshooting all technical issues that arise, and ensuring the quality of the final product. The technical art department works with both our art teams and our engineering team and help provide communication and cohesion between these two groups.
- Leverage our internal pipeline software to create workflow automation and tools (python).
- Work with internal engineering team to improve and adapt our infrastructure based on studio needs.
- Work with clients and internal teams to establish project technical requirements.
- Set up and maintain project specific environments that allow for both client and internal tools to be used.
- Lead a team of technical artists to ensure all technical needs of a project are handled promptly and efficiently.
- Learning and supporting varying client working environments, assets, and tools.
- Write, maintain, and customize internal tools for production team.
- Ensuring the quality of the final delivery to clients.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Graphic Art, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5+ years in some branch of visual effects (film, game development, TV, etc).
- Excellent knowledge of Maya.
- Strong Python programming skills and experience with PyQt/Pyside.
- Experiencing developing or maintaining project pipeline tools and system environments.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and the ability to problem solve creatively.
- General knowledge of Maya rigging.
- Past experience leading or supervising a team.
- Ability to work in a team and communicate well.
- MotionBuilder experience.
- Any knowledge of or experience with game engines such as Unreal, Unity, or proprietary engines.
- Experience with other programming languages, especially C++.
- Experience with perforce and/or git.
- Experience with project management and tracking software (such as Shotgun).