As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you’ll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that’s critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing — and we’re helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that’s working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
The focus and responsibility of the Pipeline Construction Manager (CM) is to provide direction and be accountable for the planning, scheduling, execution, quality, Project controls and logistics associated with the field construction operations that will take place for the project. Reporting to the Project Manager (PM), the CM will be responsible for the preconstruction development support of execution strategies, development and constructability reviews. The CM will be accountable for the overall success of the project execution and client satisfaction on the project.
We are looking to fill this position for opportunities in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and Ontario.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Pre-Construction Input & Preparation
- Provide construction input to the engineering design, through the engineering phase.
- Provide input to the Construction Contract and Bid Form.
- Participate in the development and implementation of contracting strategies within the Project Management Team (PMT).
- Identify, communicate and document risks to the project risk resistor. Work with the PMT to understand, analyze and manage these risks.
- Establish project roles and accountabilities for construction resources, office and field support.
- Set construction milestone schedule.
- Work with the project costing group to ensure project controls are in place for cost and schedule.
- Lead / Facilitate construction kick off meetings with all contractors and internal stakeholders ensuring proper documented exchange of information and documented safety orientation.
- Provide leadership and direction in the development Construction Execution Plan (CEP) and budget for the project.
- During Construction
- Provide constructability support to the project team from conceptual to design through execution.
- Provide construction management leadership to the project team.
- Ensure projects are executed safely and within all regulatory and environmental requirements.
- Ensure project quality requirements are met.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting on all construction aspects of the project.
- Ensure effective field communications and coordination within functional departments.
- Work with the Project Manager (PM) and Client to manage change within the work scope.
- Review incident reports, ensure remediation plans are developed, executed, and communicated in a timely manner.
- Provide reporting of contractors’ performance including safety, cost, schedule, material receiving, and quality on a biweekly basis.
- Ensure implementation and monitoring of construction management processes and procedures (specifications, inspection procedures, quality assurance program, materials management program, HSSE requirements, cost and schedule management, etc.).
- Ensure timely communication and resolution of technical issues that arise during construction with stakeholders and project engineering.
- Review contractor schedules (This includes “look ahead scheduling” with the contractor to ensure overall project schedules are met.).
- Ensure the development, tracking, reporting and follow up of contract commitments.
- Ensure field construction records are documented and maintained as per Stantec and owner requirements.
- Ensure construction deficiency lists are generated, maintained and followed-up to completion prior to contractor demobilizing from site.
- Conduct weekly meeting with contractors and field staff to validate schedule progress.
- Manage prime contractor definition (space and time) and turnover to and from the client.
- Manage Turnover of Care, Custody and Control (TCCC) of facilities to operations for commissioning.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- API 1169 Pipeline Construction Inspector Certification required for all pipeline positions, this is not a requirement when working on pumping stations or terminals.
- Excellent organizational, strategic, planning and implementing skills.
- Strong presentation, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly convey information to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Advanced skills in use of Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
Education and Experience
Post-secondary and/or 10-15 years industry experience equivalent. Minimum of 10 years of industry experience on Major Project in a leadership role. High school & post-secondary education preferred.
Position will work in office and field setting. Visits construction sites and works in outside weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.