To provide medical expertise and oversight of care that is being provided through Memorial Hermann Healthcare System. The physician is expected to exercise the highest level in order to optimize quality of care.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of Medicine
- Current state medical license
- Current Federal Drug Enforcement Agency license
- Board certified or Board eligible or equivalent experience
- Basic Cardiac Life Certification or Advanced Cardiac Life Certification
- Staff privileges at all the hospitals for which coverage is being provided
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Exhibits teamwork skills that facilitate interchange between multidisciplinary health care workers in order to provide quality patient care/outcomes
- Superior problem solving skills
- Is articulate and an active listener
- Addresses issues/concerns with the Memorial Hermann Healthcare System in a timely fashion
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of "we advance health" through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
Palliative Care Accountabilities:
- Provides palliative care consultative services for members of the Medical Staff when such services are within the scope and designation of privileges for the Supportive Medicine Provider.
- Consults with the attending physician and the Interdisplinary team to establish a written plan of care.
- Participates in daily huddles with interdisciplinary teams regarding patient's plan of care.
- Facilitates clarification of patient and family goals of care.
- Conducts pain assessment and provides appropriate pain/symptom management.
- Conducts assessment and refers patient or family to psycho-social and spiritual services as deemed appropriate.
- Conducts family meetings and identifies goals of care, surrogate decision makers, advance care plans with patient and family members.
- Attends and actively participates in hospital multidisciplinary rounds on all patients when appropriate or requested when the supportive medicine service is in the co-management or consultative role.
- Provides timely evaluation of patients referred to the Supportive Medicine service in accordance with Medical Executive Committee bylaws.
- Abides and conforms to Hospital tenants, guidelines, and bylaws.
- Participates in on-call coverage as deemed appropriate.
- Provides physician to physician sign out for patients who are transitioning to post-acute facilities as deemed appropriate.
- Provides internal sign out at transitions of care consistent with standards of care.
- Participates in physician, nursing and staff education when solicited by CNO, CMO, or COO.
- Responds to clinical queries in a timely fashion.
- Documents History and Physicals within 12 hours to support professional billing for these services.
- Documents Discharge Summaries within 48 hours of discharge order.
- Maintains current understanding of the regulatory environment related to status and status patients consistent with national guidelines.
- Encourages in network utilization of resources for continuity of care unless specified by the patient or expertise is not available in the system.
- Responds in a timely manner to pages and call back from nursing staff unless doing so would impact patient safety or experience.
- Provides additional coverage per campus protocol, in case of emergencies or disaster.
- Participates in continuing education activities to maintain or enhance knowledge and skills.
- Maintains ACLS certification.
- Communicates with the attending physician, nurse, family, and other treatment team members when appropriate, in order to obtain the appropriate patient care plan.
- Effectively communicates with treatment team in a timely and professional manner to provide quality psychiatric care to patients throughout the healthcare system.
- Complies with best practices and other care directives.
- Follows Performance Improvement initiatives.
- Works with Memorial Hermann Physicians, Risk Managers, and Case Managers towards resolution of clinical, administrative or technical problems.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and adheres to MH compliance privacy policies.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.