The Primary Care Medical Director reports to the Maine Medical Partners Chief Medical Officer and has a secondary reporting relationship to the CMO of Southern Maine Health Care. They work collaboratively with the AVP of Primary Care. The Medical Director working with the AVP will have oversight over the primary care enterprise at MMP/MMC and SMHC. Collaborating with the dyad AVP and other Primary Care Leaders, this person is responsible for operational, financial, clinical activities, value, and providing medical group leadership. Medical leadership in primary care at both MMP and MMC will report to the Medical Director.
Primary Care Medical Director: 80% administrative and 20% primary care clinical practice
- Provides physician leadership in the planning, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Maine Medical Partners and Southern Maine Health Care’s care strategies and initiatives.
- Works in a Dyadic relationship with the AVP to share accountability for clinical and operational performance, finances, quality, patient satisfaction and other relevant performance measures.
- Leads a team of Primary Care Leaders (Associate Medical Directors) who are accountable for translating strategies into day-to-day practice operations.
- Develops and nurtures relationships, coaches and mentors Primary Care Leaders, and collaborates with both internal and external key stakeholders.
- Leads and coordinates standardization and continuous improvement efforts.
- Advocates to administration for the needs of clinicians and staff and holds organization accountable to the commitments the organization has made to clinicians and staff.
- Advocates to clinicians and staff for the needs of the organization and holds individuals accountable to the commitments individuals have made to the organization.
- Participates in appropriate leadership meetings, board, and other committees
- Embodies the values of Maine Medical Partners, Maine Medical Center, Southern Maine Health Care and MaineHealth.
- Develops initiatives to enhance provider engagement
- Works with respective Department Chairs to develop appropriate OPPE and FPPE
- Has accountability for recruitment and retention of primary care work force
- MD/DO required from an accredited school
- Minimum of 10 years clinical practice experience
- Minimum of 5 years leadership experience
- MBA/MMM preferred
- Licensure as a physician in the state of practice
- Federal DEA number
- Medical Staff membership and appropriate clinical privileges
- Must achieve and maintain Board Certification in respective specialty
- Ability to navigate a matrixed organization and develop relationships with multiple stakeholder groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to flex to the needs of differing stakeholder groups.
- Knowledgeable of relevant current health care issues, including novel care team configurations and value-based care payment models.
- Creates, interprets and comprehends productivity, quality, and financial reports
- Ability to lead and influence without direct authority.
- Understands concepts of motivation and organizational culture building.
- Maintains knowledge of significant trends in healthcare and various regulatory (state, federal, Joint Commission) standards.
- Strong patient focus.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to model and adhere to organizational Mission, Values, Vision and Ethics.
- Strong understanding of principals of patient-centered care, physician compensation systems, medical technology, including electronic medical records, and quality/service improvement strategies.
- Maintains strict confidentiality when dealing with sensitive medical-legal and professional subjects.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you’ll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them – both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care – and the science behind that care – is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.