The Michael E. DeBakey VA Health Care System is seeking an outstanding Physician to join our Primary Care and Community Clinic Care team at the Lake Jackson VA Outpatient Clinic, Lake Jackson, Texas. He/she will provide comprehensive primary care and preventative care to primary care patients, under the Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) model.
Learn more about this agency Responsibilities
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Assess the needs and plan intervention for individuals/families;
- Facilitates the delivery of primary, acute and chronic health care;
- Assists individuals/families to achieve optimal levels of health through collaboration with medical and health care professionals;
- Exercises medical decision-making and provides a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for a specific group of patients;
- Exhibits leadership in initiating changes in patient care programs based on current concepts and findings from research and/or studies;
- Involved in direct patient care, patient and family teaching, staff education and multidisciplinary consultations and collaborations.
- Participates in education of PA students, NP, Residents, Medical Students, interns
- Supervise mid-level practitioners as assigned
- Consistently demonstrates expertise in diagnosing and treating seriously ill multi-symptomatic patients;
- Serves as a resource person for standards development in health care in the area of quality improvement concerns;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm; May include extended hours and some SaturdaysFinancial Disclosure Report:
Not required. Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP):
This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program within VHA. If selected for this position you must meet specific individual eligibility criteria in accordance with VHA policy 1021 and apply for EDRP within four (4) months of appointment. Final award amount and program start date is determined after review of a complete EDRP application and supporting documentation by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office. Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
No Promotion Potential
None Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- Family Practice Physicians
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Physicians, All Other
- Physicians, Family Practice
- Physicians, Internal Medicine
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
Preferred Experience: Board Certified or Board Eligible in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: The Physical Requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies. Physician applicants must have the mental and physical ability to perform core privileges required by the specialty position in addition to any specialty privileges requested. Position requires moderate lifting, 15-44 lbs, light lifting, under 15 lbs, heavy carrying, 45 lbs and over, moderate carrying, 15-44 lbs, light carrying, under 15 lbs, reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, both hands required, walking, standing, climbing, use of legs and arms, both legs required, near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other, both eyes required, depth perception, ability to distinguish basic colors, ability to distinguish shades of colors, hearing (aid may be permitted).
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice:
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Help Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
Valid through: 1/26/2021