Southwest Medical Associates (SMA) is a multi-specialty group of physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants consisting of over 300 providers, 21 medical health centers including six urgent care clinics, four convenient care centers, two lifestyle centers catering to older adults, an outpatient surgery center, plus E-visits and online options via Now Clinic telemedicine technology. SMA offers patients compassion, innovation, and quality care throughout southern Nevada. SMA is headquartered in the greater Las Vegas, NV area.
Southwest Medical Associates, part of OptumCare, is seeking a physician to join the Hospice and Palliative Care team located in Las Vegas, NV.
The Hospice and Palliative Care Physician would be the physician of record for one Hospice care team, for a circumscribed geographical area.
Southwest Medical Associates (SMA) has an integrated care system. Responsibilities may include consultation in facilities and long term care to better upstream palliative concepts earlier in care delivery.
- Works to assure high quality care deliver to Hospice patients
- Responsible for the overall medical component of the care and treatment of terminally ill patients and their families
- Provides palliation and management of terminal illness conditions related to the terminal illness
- Provides medical care interventions targeting unmet general medical needs
- Attends IDG for assigned team and collaborates with the Hospice or Palliative Team to ensure that the medical needs of the patient are met and providing oversight of the plan of care
- Collaborates with the patient's attending physician to develop and update the patient's plan of care, to identify needs not met by the attending physician, and to ensure pain and symptom management and control
- Serves as medical resource to hospice staff, patients, families, and attending physicians regarding pain and symptom control management
- Insures provision of direct medical services to patients either directly or through arrangements, as appropriate, in the absence of the patient's attending physician
- Demonstrates knowledge in communications and counseling patient and family in dealing
- Participates in resolution of interpersonal conflict and issues of clinical and ethical concerns
- Documents care provided in the medical record providing evidence of progression of the end- stage disease process
- Required to travel to homes of patients, facilities and occasional meetings at various locations
- Provides Pre-election Evaluation services
- Reviews patient's clinical information before certifying and recertifying terminal illness and provides written certification at appropriate levels of care as per standards
- Completes and/or ensures Hospice Face-to-Face visits are completed prior to recertifying hospice patients as per standards
- Obtains privileges at one or more hospitals / nursing facilities which provide respite and inpatient services to hospice program patients
- Completes all job duties in a manner that meets the accepted standards of practice and the
- Follow Optum Palliative and Hospice Care Policies and Procedures
- Works collaboratively in a team approach with Hospice Staff to achieve goals
- Contributes to achieving the company's mission
- Attends regularly scheduled in-services and educational conferences
- Develops and achieves professional competencies, goals and objectives and reviews with supervisor
- M.D. or D.O. degree
- Completion of accredited ACGME or AOA Residency in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine or demonstrated experience in hospice and palliative care
- Active and unrestricted medical license in the State of Nevada or ability to obtain prior to employment
- DEA License or ability to obtain prior to employment
- Completion of or in the process of completing Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship.
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
- 1+ years of practice experience in the principles of palliative medicine and symptom management
- Training and experience in the psychological and medical needs of the terminally ill
- Knowledge of palliative care with particular emphasis on control of symptoms associated with terminal illness
- Ability to work collaboratively with patient's attending physicians to implement the hospice/palliative program
- Ability to work collaboratively with hospice employees and volunteers as part of an interdisciplinary group
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in business computer skills