The Physician Billing Educator prepares materials and conducts employed provider billing education as determined by audits performed within the current year s Work Plan, in accordance with new provider on-boarding (pre and post-acquisition), and as per Compliance and/or Management requests.
- Works collaboratively with providers and affiliate staff to promote and ensure correct and compliant coding and billing practices.
- Works collaboratively with Physician Billing Reviewers to present coding education to providers, along with appropriate coding references, and other materials associated with the findings of completed reviews of employed providers.
- Prepares detailed reports of educational activities.
- Responds to coding questions from provider and affiliate staff as distributed by the Lead Physician Billing Educator.
- Prepares webinars on various education topics as chosen determined by Lead Physician Billing Educator with Management oversight. Delivers said education in person or remotely to interested providers and affiliate staff. Maintains attendance records.
- Provides educational feedback from Heat Map audits to Physician Billing Reviewers for necessary re-billing of encounters.
- May perform E/M mentoring for employed providers and affiliate staff.
- Maintains proper computer and written records of all education activity.
- Effectively communicates coding recommendations and reasoning to medical staff members and others.
- Performs regulatory coding research for Compliance Department and/or employed providers and affiliate staff.
- Assists internal and external Compliance counsel in external agency investigations as required.
- Corresponds with AMA, etc. with coding questions as necessary.
- May be required to assist in the formation of Corrective Action Plans for the employed physicians and affiliate staff.
- Must have a minimum of an Associate s Degree; Bachelor s degree preferred.
- Coding certification required (e.g. CCS, CCS-P, CPC, COC, CEMC), RHIT, RHIA, and/or RN also encouraged.
- Must have advanced coding education and training with strong foundation in E/M coding.
- Prior E/M physician auditing experience preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience and/or coding consultant experience preferred.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to utilize a personal computer with Windows and Microsoft Office software, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to utilize the 3M Coding and Reimbursement Software system.
- Must be able to utilize 3 M SoftMed, Cerner, Allscripts SCM and other electronic medical records systems for remotely reviewing of medical records.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We offer a great work environment, competitive rates and excellent benefits, including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans
- 401 (k)
- Vacation/Personal/Holiday/Sick Time Off
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Basic Life & Accidental Death Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
RWJBarnabas Health is the most comprehensive health care delivery system in New Jersey and the state s second largest private employer with more than 32,000 employees, 9,000 physicians and 1,000 residents and interns. The system includes eleven acute care hospitals, three acute care children s hospitals and a leading pediatric rehabilitation hospital (Children s Specialized Hospital).