Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
This job identifies and manages medical and surgical problems within the Physician Assistant's scope of practice in a surgical setting.
- Obtains complete medical history and physical data on patients. (30%)
- Performs physical exams, documents in the medical record, orders appropriate laboratory & diagnostic procedures and established presumptive diagnosis as defined in the written agreement between the PA and the supervising physician(s). Assists in the OR by serving as first or second assistant during surgical procedures. (20%)
- Provides appropriate patient care to include completing daily patient care rounds on surgical patients, recording patient medical history and physical assessment, developing therapeutic care plan, ordering diagnostic tests, interpreting test results, discharge planning and providing accurate medical record documentation for surgical patients. (10%)
- Communicates with attending physician regarding plan of care and involves physician in clinical decision making of any issues that are outside the Physician Assistant's knowledge base or scope of practice. (10%)
- Educates patients and family members regarding health and illness prevention, medication and treatment instructions, and recommends community resources as needed. (10%)
- Prepares written prescription orders for drugs as defined in the written agreement between the PA and the supervising physician(s). (10%)
- Triages patient telephone calls. (10%)
- Performs all other duties as assigned or required.
- BA/BS Degree in Physician Assistant Studies.
- Current PA Physician Assistant License or board eligible. PA-C required or board eligible. License and certification required within 90 days of employment. Ongoing successful recertification (NCCPA) as a PA-C.
- CPR and ACLS certification.
- Hospital and clinic setting
- Operating Room
- Rotation of Weekend and Holiday call schedule
- Travel between Surgery Centers and Hospitals/Office
- Very busy office and surgical schedules
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.