Photonic Device Scientist - Exploratory Design Group
- Job Number: 113047355
- Santa Clara Valley, California, United States
- Posted: Sep. 18, 2017
- Weekly Hours: 40.00
In this role, you will work within an Optical Science team, collaborating with a highly multi-disciplinary group, to develop and demonstrate new photonic sensor concepts. You will take advantage of your technical breadth as well as your depth of experience with optical systems.
- The ideal candidate will have 4+ total years of experience with photonic device physics, including significant experience with silicon photonics, plus most of the following:
- - Excellent grasp of optical physics fundamentals.
- - Experience with simulation of integrated optical active and passive components at both component and circuit level, including FDTD, waveguide mode solvers, and scatter matrix.
- - Experience constructing and validating models of optical devices, based on first principles and empirical data.
- - Strong programming ability with Matlab, Python, or similar language.
- - Good understanding of a variety of optical measurement techniques, with hands-on experience characterizing optical devices.
- - Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- - Ability to work well in a team environment.
As a Photonic Device Scientist, you will have the following responsibilities: •Work with the System Engineering team to invent, implement and test optical sensor concepts. •Conduct first-principles numerical simulations of optical devices and systems. •Identify causal relationships between observed system-level performance and specific device-level parameters. •Write specifications for custom optical devices, based on a combination of modeling and interpretation of empirical data. •Work with external vendors to fabricate custom optical devices meeting our system-level requirements. •Work with the team to test and validate fabricated devices.
Masters degree or PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Optics, EE, or related field is required.