Responsible for developing, implementing and leading a robust philanthropy program to support a MedStar Hospital, focusing significant effort on direct engagement with prospective philanthropic partners as well as clinicians and other key influencers. Focus of efforts will be in obtaining philanthropic investments of $50,000 or greater through deploying the MedStar Health grateful patient program. Coordinate closely with the MedStar Health Philanthropy Services function to ensure efficient and effective utilization of shared philanthropy programs and operations resources across MedStar Health.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Healthcare or related field.
7 years experience in healthcare philanthropy, ideally within a health system setting.Extensive experience facilitating philanthropic investments at five, six and seven figure (or greater) levels.
CFRE (Certified Fundraising Executive) or CFRE eligible preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Strong verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated success in facilitating philanthropic partnerships. Experience with planned giving. Strong organizational skills. Acumen to engage and support senior leadership, staff, and volunteers in fundraising. A high level of passion, professionalism, compassion, creativity, collaboration and integrity coupled with an ability to earn the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents. Successful experience working with volunteer leaders and program staff to ensure an integrated, organized effort, as well as goal-oriented accomplishments. Although not required, knowledge of Raiser’s Edge helpful.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- While consistently embracing and embodying the MedStar Philanthropy Group Team Norms and Operating Principles, effectively and efficiently collaborate with the Vice President of Philanthropy to ensure development and implementation of best practices related to the MedStar Health Innovative Philanthropy Program Powered by Gratitude, including the education and implementation of initiatives focused on building a culture of gratitude across MedStar Health.
- Co-lead fundraising efforts of the MedStar Heart and Vascular Institute and philanthropy programs at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital. Provide direct oversight of philanthropy programs at MedStar St. Mary’s and MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital.
- Develop strong relationships with physician champions, incorporating weekly interactions with his/her portfolio of physicians and clinicians, and their support staff.
- Utilize effective leadership skills to mentor, guide, supervise, manage and further develop skills and abilities of all direct reports as well as other colleagues throughout the MedStar Philanthropy Group.
- Conduct productive direct engagement activities with prospective philanthropic partners, meeting or exceeding established performance metrics for clinician engagement and philanthropic partnership commitments.
- Draft “moves management plans” and philanthropic partnership invitations, articles for internal and external publications, appropriate acknowledgement communications, speeches and talking points, reports, memos and key correspondence related to effective philanthropy program implementation.
- Observe and use established MedStar Philanthropy policies and operating procedures, including regular, timely and accurate recording of activities and moves management in Raisers Edge.
- Develop and contribute to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adhere to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensure compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
- Participate in meetings and on committees and represents the department and business unit in community outreach efforts. Participate in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams and maintain effective working relationships with other departments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.