This position, under the supervision of a pharmacist, is responsible for obtaining a patients complete medication history through communication with the patient, family, and/or other resources and documenting it into the medical record.
- Identifies and prioritizes patients according to need for medication history collection. Reviews and collects proper information for interview prior to patient interaction.
- Interviews patients to collect the medication history. Asks pertinent questions to ensure capture of all prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, and herbal/dietary supplements. As necessary, contacts family or other resources (e.g. outside pharmacy) to get a more complete medication history.
- Documents medication history and allergies in the electronic health record according to established procedures. Tracks history collection through intervention documentation. As appropriate, notifies proper hospital staff of medication history completion.
- Follows procedure for infection control, safe patient practices (e.g. using 2 patient identifiers), interpreter services, and contraindications to patient interview.
- Assumes the duties of the Pharmacy Technician II when needed and as appropriate. These duties may include, but are not limited to preparing, charging and crediting medications, restocking automated dispensing technology and compounding specialty medications and intravenous medications.
Requires pharmacy technician licensure in the state of practice (where applicable and/or required). Pharmacy technician certification required.May be required to possess a valid drivers license and be eligible for coverage under the companys auto insurance policy.
Experience must include 1 year working in an acute care setting as a pharmacy technician. Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Must have the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served; Must have the knowledge of brand/generic names of drugs, including OTCs, and their strengths/uses, as well as knowledge of herbal/dietary supplements and their strengths/uses. Must be able to prioritize tasks in a complex work environment; be personable and well organized. Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing systems. May be required to possess a valid drivers license and be eligible for coverage under the companys auto insurance policy.
Previous community pharmacy technician experience.Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Apply For This Job
Connect With Us!
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at Banner Health.