The Clinical Specialist will provide clinical pharmacy services to patients in the cardiac intensive care unit as well as the general cardiology inpatient services. Interacts with physicians and nurses to make recommendations regarding drug therapy. Involved in education of pharmacy staff including students, nurses and physicians.
Provides clinical pharmacy services to patients of all ages within in the specialty area. Interacts with physicians and nurses to make recommendations regarding drug therapy of patients. Educates staff pharmacists, technicians, pharmacy students, post graduate trainees, allied health professionals, nurses and physicians in pharmacotherapy within in the specialty area.
- Performs pharmacotherapeutic monitoring and provision of pharmaceutical care for patients in the area of service responsibility in a routine, continuous manner, taking into account the age and clinical condition of each patient.
- Provides general and patient specific drug information to patients, physicians, nurses and, and other health care professionals.
- Interacts routinely with physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals to provide optimal pharmaceutical care to patients.
- Supports pharmacists and technicians educational development by participating in departmental staff development programs and provides leadership in the education of staff involved in providing pharmaceutical care to patients.
- Supports staff pharmacists in providing pharmaceutical care to patients by direct interaction, and formal educational programs.
- Supports and participates in pharmaceutical related research in area of specialty.
- Maintains expertise in areas of practice through continual learning, journal review and othereducational activities.
- Educates staff pharmacists, technicians, pharmacy students, post graduate trainees, allied health professionals, nurses and physicians in pharmacotherapy within in the specialty area.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires Doctor of Pharmacy degree plus appropriate residency or fellowship training.
- If hired for a specialty area where specialty residency training is available, then specialty residency is required.
- Current State licensure as a Registered Pharmacist (RPh) or eligible for reciprocation in current State within 90 days of hire.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment.
- Demonstrates a service orientation toward patients, staff, and visitors.
- Conveys a positive, professional image at all times.
- Significant experience as a clinical specialist, practitioner or coordinator which includes providing pharmaceutical care and performing pharmacotherapeutic monitoring.
- Minimum of five years experience may offset advanced education requirement.
- Manual dexterity to operate office equipment.
- May require periods of sitting, standing and the ability to walk to various locations to attend meetings.
- Must have normal or corrected vision.
- Must have ability to clearly communicate verbally by phone or in person.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.