Provides pharmaceutical care in a manner consistent with evidence based medicine and the patient focused care model. Provides excellent service to our customers, which include patients, medical staff and nursing.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
Oversees all aspects of Pharmacy operations ensuring accurate dispensing.
• Ensures all medications are accurately prepared, labeled and checked prior to leaving the pharmacy.
• Interprets Physician order and accurately enters/validates orders. Validates orders. Intervenes when appropriate
• Participates in the Pharmacy Improvement Process.
• Ensures all chemotherapy preparations are checked by one Pharmacist and two other Pharmacy personnel.
• Effectively supervises Technicians, signing all checked work and providing corrective action when necessary.
• Ensures all IV admixtures are prepared using aseptic technique under USP <797> conditions.
• Under the guidance of the Pharmacy Manager, oversees training of new staff/students.
• Participates in the control, use and monitoring of investigational drugs.
Provides pharmaceutical care in a manner consistent with patient focused care
• Evaluates the patient’s drug therapy, clarifying dosage, drug interactions, allergies, contraindications, and therapeutic duplication with the Prescriber.
• Monitors for Adverse Drug Reaction.
• Evaluates patient care and response to pharmacotherapy. Evaluation should include, but is not limited to renal dosing, IV to PO conversion, aminoglycoside and vancomycin dosing, enoxaparin and epoetin alpha conversion, pediatric weight based dosing, antibiotic dosing and selection.
• Monitors lab values and ensures order appropriateness.
• Evaluates chemotherapy regimes, verifying regimens/dosing against diagnosis.
• Actively participates in at least one Committee.
• Monitors warfarin on each assigned patient and provides education when required.
• Provides evidences based drug information and teaching to our patients and customers.
• Functions as a preceptor to new employees and students.
• Completes all mandatory educational assignments on time.
• Attends staff meetings while on duty. Signs off on minutes if absent.
• Conducts a self assessment, develops professional practice goals and demonstrates progress to completion of those goals, documenting the results.
• Voluntarily participates in the education of the professional staff including case presentations as appropriate
• Functions as liaison to assigned patient carelocation, interacting with manager and staff to promote customer satisfaction through a team effort.
B.S. degree in Pharmacy; Pharm. D. preferred. Consideration will be given to candidates with demonstrated excellent clinical skills with the approval of the Pharmacy Manager. Previous hospital pharmacy experience is preferred. ASHP-accredited residency and/or Board Certification are highly desirable. State/Federal Mandated Licensure or Certification Requirements: Current State of Connecticut License as a Registered Pharmacist in good standing.
Bristol Hospital Mandated Educational Requirements: General orientation at time of hire. Healthstream and Communicating with Deaf and Hearing Impaired .
Special Requirements:Computer skills as related to pharmacy operations.
Physical Requirements: On feet for extended periods. Periodic stooping, bending, and walking.
Work Environment: Main Pharmacy and patient care areas. Ability to work in a variable environment that will include a rapid pace, frequently changing conditions, and work related distractions. Moderate exposure to hazardous substances found in the Pharmacy.
Cognitive Requirements:Strong clinical and critical thinking skills. Good communication skills, both written and verbal. Ability to adapt to constant changes and thrive.
Conditions of Employment
• In adherence with our safety and compliance regulations, upon hire you are subject to a criminal background check and health clearance (including drug testing) through Occupational Health.
• The health and safety of our patients and employees is a top priority which is why we have mandatory flu shots. Exceptions for medical and religious reasons will be evaluated on an individual basis.
• Please be aware all Bristol Hospital and Health Care Group facilities are smoke and tobacco free.
Equal Employment Opportunity
• In keeping with our goals of individual recognition and treatment characterized by dignity and respect, we extend hiring and promotional opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of race, color, religious creed, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, military or veteran status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
• Our policy is to make reasonable accommodation to the limitations of qualified disabled individuals and to provide them with employment opportunities to the extent practical without incurring undue hardship.