About the Department
The Diabetes Sales Team leads the US sales efforts for Novo Nordisk’s robust cardiometabolic product portfolio, which includes world class therapies for the treatment of diabetes, obesity, and the reduction of adverse cardiovascular events. As part of the team, you will have frontline exposure to our portfolio vision, business strategies, and critical market insights that drive our business forward. You will drive the NNI portfolio strategy in tandem with our marketing team, and balance performance with compassion to ensure that the latest therapies and products reach the people who need them most.
At Novo Nordisk, we are the world leader in diabetes care and a major player in defeating other serious chronic conditions such as obesity, growth hormone-related disorders and rare bleeding disorders. We use our skills, dedication and ambition to help people with diabetes and other chronic or rare diseases. We are looking for individuals who want to do the same. In exchange, we offer the chance to be part of a truly global workplace, where passion and engagement are met with opportunities for professional and personal development. Are you ready to realize your potential?
This position represents Novo Nordisk to selected key endocrinologists and other customers as directed. This position has a goal of cultivating strong professional relationships with Endocrinologists, positioning Novo Nordisk as a leader in the diabetes care market, understanding the local market and customer needs and positioning Novo Nordisk product and services to improve care of patients with diabetes to maximize sales within an assigned territory. The Endocrinology Diabetes Care Specialist (EDCS) must achieve sales goals by utilizing a patient-centric and clinical approach to engaging their customers and promoting Novo Nordisk’s portfolio of diabetes products to key endocrinologists and other customers. The EDCS uses local knowledge, tools and resources to assess, create and maintain advocacy of customers aligned to company, brand and clinical goals; the EDCS develops local strategies and executes local tactical plans (consistent with company direction) to engage Endocrinologists and actively move them along the advocacy continuum. This position also evaluates and recommends the most appropriate Novo Nordisk product and approved usage for the customer’s needs.
Externally, the EDCS maintains relationships with physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other key personnel in health care settings and major academic and large community health systems. The EDCS also assists their endocrinologists with their local clinical and educational initiatives by coordinating company resources (e.g., counterparts, materials, information, initiatives, etc.) to ensure an aligned approach to benefit improved patient health. Internally, the EDCS reports to the Endocrinology District Business Manager (EDBM) of the specific sales territory. The EDCS interacts on a regular basis with other field-based employees (e.g., DBMs, IDBMs, Diabetes Care Specialists (DCSs), IDCSs, Managed Markets Sales Team, Diabetes Educators, Medical Liaisons) covering the same geographic areas. The EDCS actively shares information and plans to develop a common understanding of individual customers and overlapping market dynamics to ensure a coordinated approach.
- Contribute to The Company’s Sales Goals
- Execute sales strategies based on evaluation of customer needs, dynamics, trends, and competitor’s products or services
- Maintain required activity records/reports, including timely and accurate transmission of call data
- Participate in relevant meetings, conventions, training programs, and displays
- Understand the scientific and clinical underpinnings of brand strategies and the implications and importance of generating advocacy and support for them
- Work with the Novo Nordisk Sales/Marketing Departments to most effectively execute on marketing materials and product information.
- Develop Relationships
- Anticipate and respond to customers ' objections, problems, and concerns
- Clinically position and promote Novo Nordisk’s portfolio of diabetes products with a focus on endocrinologists and key customers who make or influence prescribing decisions
- Coordinate the development and delivery of targeted education seminars for health care providers on subjects relevant to NNIs products
- Coordinate with PCP counterpart to arrange Interface programs and help prepare speakers (outline audience demographic, understand audience needs, share learning objectives and local challenges, provide feedback on quality of presentation) to provide quality balanced and relevant presentation that support the educational objectives and align to audience needs
- Develop meaningful and productive professional relationships that demonstrate a genuine desire to help HCPs help patients with diabetes
- For launch of new products, programs and services, establish alignment among Endocrinologists around the need for change, the value propositions the new product, program or service represents and the appropriate patients that would benefit in order to ensure early trial and utilization
- Generate advocacy for Novo Nordisk products and services by sharing approved clinical and scientific information and insights
- Interface with key associations (e.g., ADA, AACE) and customer groups
- Recognize opportunities to productively challenge HCPs clinical management of patients that respects their knowledge and experience and adds value by sharing new information and offering unique insights
- Support the implementation of Advocate Development plans in the market, consistent with the approved national plan
- Utilize relationships with endocrinologists, clinics, and other individuals who make or influence purchasing, prescribing, and/or formulary decisions
- Utilizing identified targeted customers, develop customized communication techniques to create lasting business relationships; assess partnership opportunities in areas of mutual interest.
- Maintain Market Knowledge and Understanding
- Analyze and understand customers, local healthcare delivery and payment models, and the interdependencies among the various elements in the market to identify and leverage business opportunities
- Analyze impact of managed care in the territory and its effect on prescribing decisions and modify customer engagement and sales strategies
- Analyze local market to understand the unique needs of different customers and customer groups and estimate growth patterns
- Evaluate the patient and practice needs of customers utilizing a patient-centric approach and tailoring the approach to customers and patient’s needs
- Uses understanding of practice guidelines, chronic care models, protocols, etc. to engage HCPs in clinical conversations to appreciate how they manage patients with diabetes and where they currently position NNI products and devices.
- Manage and Prioritize Time and Resources Efficiently
- Analyze and establish order of calls and routes that maximize time and efficiency
- Attain maximum results in the sales territory with limited supervision
- Coordinate and align NNI stakeholders on account plan and gain alignment on roles, responsibilities and standards of interaction and customer engagement; communicate regularly to account team on priorities and progress
- Effectively distribute product samples in sales territory according to plan
- Manage time and tasks to achieve maximum customer effect and sales volume
- Prudently control company property consistent with applicable company policies and procedures and legal obligations
- Utilize discretionary budget for maximum impact on sales.
- Product Knowledge
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the clinical treatment of diabetes and its comorbidities and complications by actively using approved resources to engage HCPs in constructive and ongoing dialogue to support improved patient health
- Describe Novo Nordisk’s portfolio of diabetes products, emphasizing their clinical effectiveness and benefits, as well as limitations and possible side-effects to identify products best suited for specific patient profiles or circumstances; develop customer-focused solutions that are aligned with customers and Novo Nordisk Inc (NNIs) vision
- Leverage available sales and marketing resources to expand the breadth and depth of appropriate utilization Novo Nordisk’s products, consistent with label and company policy
- Maintain mastery knowledge of disease state and research related to diabetes, and NNI products within area of responsibility
- Maintain product and disease knowledge and knowledge of consultative promotion techniques
- Maintain up to date knowledge of the latest approved scientific and clinical data to engage in meaningful discussions with customers and address questions, concerns, and objections to the use of Novo Nordisk 's products
- Participate in company-sponsored and/or company-approved training programs to constantly improve knowledge of Novo Nordisk 's products, competitive products, and sales and promotional skills
Driver must maintain a valid driver’s license. Must be in good standing by not exceeding the Novo Nordisk points threshold assigned based on review of Motor Vehicle Records.
Novo Nordisk requires all employees, both Field and Office-Based, to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine by November 15, 2021. Please confirm that you are fully vaccinated, are willing to be fully vaccinated prior to starting employment, or that you are seeking a reasonable accommodation to the COVID-19 vaccine mandate.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of two (2) years of pharmaceutical, medical, field or market experience required
- Demonstrated leadership and decision-making ability
- Intermediate computer skills required (Windows, Word, Excel); prior computer experience using sales data/call reporting software ideal
- Mastery knowledge of the clinical management of diabetes and the range of treatment options
- Must be a self-starter and be able to evaluate options and make decisions on your own with minimal supervision