In this role you can expect to:
- Leads and executes analytic projects to provide insight into business needs, dynamics, and implications. Serves as the analytics expert on cross functional teams for large strategic initiatives. Serves as own Project Manager and Relationship Manager for smaller projects.
- Engages with project sponsors and stakeholders to understand each business question. Probes for hidden questions and goals. Brings structure to each request and translates requirements into an analytic approach.
- Acquires structured and unstructured data and prepares it for analysis. Investigates extracts, cleans, transforms and manages data using advanced analytic tools and techniques. Identifies and diagnoses data inconsistencies and errors, forages to fill data gaps and blazes new data trails.
- Analyzes data to describe underlying circumstances, develops statistical models to forecast key business KPIs and metrics, diagnose drivers metrics and outcomes, uses data to identify and target specific segments, objectively measures the impact of initiatives and practices. Identifies and utilizes appropriate analytic methods and specialized tools to generate insights, answer the business questions and fulfill project objectives. Seeks out innovative approaches and techniques.
- Prepares and delivers insight presentations and actionable recommendations. Communicates complex material in layman's terms. Guides business partners on the interpretation, implications and use of analytic results. Consults on statistical problems (test design, significance testing, confidence intervals, forecasting, weighting).
- Develops and applies domain knowledge of Vanguard’s businesses and data to shape the analytic road map.
- Contributes to the growth of the analytic community. Mentors analysts.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as required.
An ideal candidate will have:
- Undergraduate degree in an analytically oriented major, such as statistics, mathematics, economics or an applied social science. Graduate level preferred. Academic training in relevant subject matter and applied statistics preferred.
- A minimum of five years general experience and five years relevant professional experience in analytical roles.
- Knowledge of financial services.
- Able to take disparate data and understand it, process it, extract value from it, visualize it and communicate it.
- Strong advanced statistical analysis programming skills (e.g., Python, SQL, R). Understanding of data structures.
- Logical problem solving skills.
- Experience gathering requirements, developing analytic approaches, and applying quantitative methods to harvest insights.
- Industry experience applying statistical techniques (modeling, regression methods, decision trees, forecasting, clustering, time series).
- Demonstrated Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Strong communicator of complex concepts and analysis, able to handle a variety of audience knowledge levels.
- Data visualization and storytelling skills
1. Engages with internal partners to understand business strategy, questions and goals. Brings structure to business requests, translates requirements into an analytical project approach, and leads complex projects through completion. Delegates tasks and provides tactical and strategic guidance to peers. Serves as the analytics expert on cross-functional teams for large strategic initiatives.
2. Acquires and compiles structured and unstructured data and verifies its quality, accuracy and reasonableness.
3. Performs analyses of historical data to surface trends and insights using advanced analytical methods. Validates analytical techniques employed by other analysts.
4. Prepares and delivers expert level visualizations and internal presentations that translate analytic insights into tangible, actionable solutions for business partners to implement.
5. Develops, owns and manages recurring analytic or reporting processes.
6. Actively develops the analytics community at Vanguard by mentoring, coaching and connecting others with resources and training. Participates and presents during scheduled analytics seminars.
7. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five years related work experience.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Graduate degree preferred.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.