Manages mining, production processes and distribution of talc products needed to meet customer requirements. Responsible for both long and short term cost control. Maintains compliance with all governmental and administrative policies regarding human resources, safety, health, quality and the environment. Directs and coordinates activities concerned with safe, clean, efficient, quality, and profitable production of company product(s) by performing duties personally or through subordinate managers.
Leads and manages all production activities at 2 operation sites.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fully supports location health, safety and environmental (HSE) programs by overseeing their implementation, maintenance and enforcement as well as compliance with Corporate programs.
- Protects and maintains health and safety of employees. Maintain zero LTA’s and continually reduce contact incidents by: showing visible commitment through full participation in programs, ensuring all employees develop personal goals, and providing tools and training to do the job.
- Optimizes profits. Minimize the long term cost of production by: monitoring and controlling expenses, maintaining cost effective product inventories, utilizing preventative maintenance, reviewing costs monthly with staff, and utilizing the CIP process to identify opportunities.
- Maintains high performance levels of employees by: maintaining manpower progression plans, and providing ongoing training to meet plan objectives.
- Continuously improves quality of products and services. Achieve a proactive quality organization by: maintaining employee training, integrating supply chain into the quality program, review procedures regularly to ensure they are current and effective, and work with customers to anticipate problems and resolve quickly if they occur.
- Cost effective management of environmental activities, mining methods and land holdings, as well as strengthening community relationships by: maintaining employee training, reviewing community plans to ensure effectiveness, and maintaining the mine plan to ensure short term ore supply and define long term resources in terms of market demand.
Makes presentations to Executive Management and employees, interfaces with community groups, and responds to concerns from managers, employees, regulatory agencies, and the general public.
OTHER IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS
- Safe and cost effective mining, milling and packaging of the required products in the midst of the change and challenge of corporate and location initiatives (such as OE, OPEX, ISO 9000:2000, ISO 14000, capital projects, and new product/process developments.) Normal challenges associated with holding a key Leadership/management, professional role within the organization.
- Resolves problems by analyzing information, identifying and evaluating optional courses of action, resolving discrepancies by weighing interests, contributes to the development of new concepts and techniques in an operational context, and potentially hazardous environment of open pit mining and industrial minerals milling.
- theoretical knowledge, comparing and measuring against the state-of-the-art
- practices Tap root analysis (incidents, accidents)
- prioritization andproject management
- such as resources shortage, priority management, mine and mill operation and strategic project management at the same time; staffing/personnel issues; responding to grievances.
- The role has an important financial impact on the Imerys cost (mining and milling). To achieve the objectives of this role advanced knowledge of the value chain (processing, marketing, storage, packaging, shipping) is required.
- The position is impacted by: group safety policy, market needs, Plants needs, decisions taken by the VP Operations and other high level positions.
The job holder is responsible for all technical and economic aspects of the mining process including: milling, sales/customer service, packaging, import/export of crude ore for processing and finished goods.
Education and Experience requirements:
- College/University Education: Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) from a four year college or university, preferably in engineering or technical discipline; or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling 5-8years.
- OtherQualifications: Through knowledge of the value chain from sales, mining, processing, packaging, logistics, quality or customer satisfaction, employee relations and industrial relations, and foreign markets and operations.
- Licenses/Certifications: Professional Engineer
- Knowledge of our business including various ores, mills, grinds and packaging combinations that yield products that satisfy our customers’ needs in myriad applications.
- Operations and regulatory needs of running a plant in compliance with permits.
5- 8years of progressively responsible and broad experience. This should include as many of the following as possible: Production (milling and/or mining), engineering (planning, design and project construction), permitting or regulatory compliance, human resources principles and practices, union contract compliance, finance matters and HSEQ systems.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics:
- Organizational skills are necessary for prioritizing activities, scheduling competing demands, conducting meetings, and overseeing the implementation, maintenance and enforcement of various policies and programs in a multi-national environment.
- Analytical skills are needed to evaluate opportunities for improvement or optimization of resources as well as to resolve problems.
- Computer skills are required to manage and utilize office software and data management software.
- Interpersonal skills are necessary in order to develop teamwork within locationwork groups as well as work with both internal and external customers, and unions without major conflicts.
- Leadership skills are needed to assure that employees and staff at each managedlocation are accountable for the work and have the authority to act toward achieving corporate and location goals and objectives.
- Administrative skills are required to manage multiple locations and make sure employees have the resources they need to safely and efficiently execute plans and activities in line with corporate and location objectives.
- Self-motivation is necessary to ensure the work progresses in a safe, efficient and effective manner.
- Planning skills are needed to ensure the timely completion of programs and objectives and that the same satisfy legal and corporate objectives.
- Financial skills are necessary to manage budgets of multiple locations, explain variances, evaluate projects and prioritize allocation of resources in an expanding marketplace.
- Training and team building skills will be needed to improve individual competencies, place the right person in the right role, Sustainable Safety and Health as well as develop focused group action.
- Communications skills are necessary to appropriately interact with employees , represented or not, at all levels of the organization as well as external customers.