The Payroll Wage & Compliance Manager will manage and oversee all wage and tax processing tasks to ensure timely and accurate compliance while preventing non-fraudulent activity in accordance with company policies and Federal and State regulations.
Essential Generic Job Functions (List in order of importance):
- Manages the tasks and activities of payroll tax and internal controls analysts.
- Ensures earnings and deduction codes are setup with the proper tax classifications.
- Ensures all periodic, quarterly and annual tax filings are processed timely and accurately through ADP tax services.
- Performs audits on potential misclassifications of independent contractors and partners with applicable Human Resources and Finance counterparts to resolve discrepancies.
- Develops audits to reduce risk to the medical center from non-compliance of compensation policies and DOL practices.
- Develops audits to monitor various data integrity issues and potential fraudulent activities.
- Reviews all reconciliations for timeliness and accuracy.
- Partners with Payroll Managers, Human Resources and Finance to ensure all non-salary compensation payments, such as incentives, bonuses, executive payments, non-qualified deferred compensation are paid accurately in accordance with federal and state regulations.
- Ensures physician contract data remains current and time study attestations are being completed timely and submitted for any retro missing hours in accordance with policy.
- Audits PeopleSoft security to ensure appropriate level of access is provided for all payroll functionality used by the payroll staff and department users.
- Ensure timely setup of physician grants and clinical trials both in PeopleSoft mapping table and physicians timesheets.
- Partners with payroll team members and managers to ensure stop payments, reversals and wage repayments are done properly and timely to avoid incorrect quarter balances or accounting variances.
- Develops automated solutions for reducing risk through the elimination or reduction of manual processes.
- Consistently partner with Payroll Managers to review internal controls and reduce risk where possible.
- Maintains a proactive, not reactive approach to proper wage and tax processing and filing.
- Utilizes resources efficiently and frequently assesses workload across team members for equity and cross-training opportunities.
- Independently and proactively observes and identifies work requirements and skill gaps and develops plans to fill the gaps through training, development, or replacing staff where necessary.Establishes frequent status meetings to discuss performance issues and provide guidance and training as needed.
- Develops career path for team members by partnering with staff on short and long term goals, utilization of internal and external training classes and developing action plans to achieve goals.
- Sets quality goals that focus on developing staff, growing the department, improving processes, preventing payroll errors and adjustments through training and automation. Goals should align with Payroll Department and organization goals.
- Fosters a positive climate and encourage strong work ethics through coaching and mentoring.
- Communicates proactively and effectively with staff to remove barriers for improvement.
- Partners with staff to develop system and process improvements to achieve department goals.
- Promptly communicates to the Payroll Director any events of critical importance or employee issues.
- Hire, discipline and terminate team members in accordance with HMH and Payroll Department performance standards.
- Completes performance evaluations timely for staff based on factual supporting documentation, individual and department performance goals. Content should be of quality substance.
- Manages timekeeping, and absence requests effectively to ensure proper staffing levels at all times.
- Ensures staff are following time and attendance policies and punching IN/OUT as required.
- Ensures all overtime is approved prior to use and is kept to a minimum and only used when absolutely necessary.
- Maintains confidentiality of all payroll data by locking PC when stepping away from desk, being cognizant of surroundings when discussing confidential data, password protecting all files sent through email, not releasing any confidential data without the employee's written consent, verifying manager access before providing any salary information, and keeping all employee information and files restricted to the Payroll staff and approved leaders.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organization and Managerial Competencies.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
· Bachelor's degree in Accounting, a related field or equivalent relevant work experience.
· Demonstrated knowledge of PeopleSoft Payroll for NA, including all year-end tables and processes.
· Minimum of 5 years' experience managing all payroll tax responsibilities for multi-jurisdiction payrolls across multiple FEIN's for 25,000 + employees, including quarterly tax filings and processing tax return amendments.
· Minimum of 5 years' experience in a tax manager role.
· Strong working knowledge of payroll wage and hour laws including but not limited to FLSA regulations, third party sick pay, taxable fringe benefits, and relocation.
· Excellent math skills coupled with strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
· Strong working knowledge of MS applications, such as excel (pivot tables, vlookup and formulas, spreadsheets); word (mail merge, tables), outlook (email, calendars, tasks).
· Takes initiative in professional development.
· Demonstrates a team player, positive attitude and willingness to support the department's goals and vision.
· Demonstrates a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done and meet deadlines.
· Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline driven culture a must.
· Effectively allocates time and resources to meet project/task deadlines.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills coupled with good listening skills.
· All written communications are sent with zero spelling, grammar and punctuation errors.
· Self-Learner; ability to learn and retain new systems and processes quickly.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Preferred:
- Multi-state payroll working knowledge.
- ADP tax filing services for in-house payrolls.
- PeopleSoft Time and Labor.
· Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA).