This position is for a Payroll Tax and Banking Accountant reporting to the Payroll Tax Manager in the Oldcastle Materials, Inc. Payroll Department.
- Initiate federal, state, and local tax payments for weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly and monthly pay frequencies for 57 legal entities (24,000+ employees).
- Prepare payrolltax returns for withholdings in all taxing states except Alaska, California and Hawaii and unemployment payments and tax returns for all states except Alaska, California and Hawaii.
- Validate employee tax setups to ensure they are accurate and the proper federal, state and local taxes are being deducted and remitted for all employees; in addition to validating unemployment calculations for all legal entities.
- Analyze reports from payroll system to ensure tax deposits and filing of federal, state and local tax returns are accurate.
- Review tax notices from federal, state and local jurisdiction and determine the necessary course of action required.
- Actively participate in the annual year end process; including W2 processing, filing of fourth quarter and annual returns simultaneously, while reconciling and verifying the accuracy of all returns and payments.
- Assist with responses to inquiries from management, taxing authorities and corporate accounting regarding tax withholding and unemployment payments and general ledger inquiries.
- Responsible for timely submission of ACH, positive pay banking files, entering off-cycles checks, processing voids and other banking functions as required.
- Bachelors degree in accounting or finance
- FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) or CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) preferred
- 5+ years in a multi-corporation, multi-state payroll environment
- 5+ years of corporate accounting/finance
- Solid grasp of payroll principles, wage and hour law, and payrolltaxes
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local withholding tax computations and deposit/filing requirements
- Working knowledge of IN, KY, MI, OH and PA locals a strong plus.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills required
- Must be able to multi-task between daily banking functions and payrolltax duties daily.
- Must be able to able to work under time constraints and ensure deadlines are met
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- PC literate: Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook, and mainframe payroll application experience
- Intermediate/Advanced Excel skills a must.
- Strong “customer service” focus
Job ID: 143564