Payroll Supervisor, Tax and Mobility
Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that accomplishes operational excellence. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our 22,000 team members in over 400 locations worldwide are vital to making our Company stronger.
As a Tax and Global Mobility Supervisor, you will manage and facilitate the accurate preparation and filing of our company’s state and federal tax forms as well oversee our Global Mobility program. You should be a tax and accounting expert and a team player who manages the tax team to greater performance, creates and implements tax plans and works with the accounting and leadership teams to identify opportunities for process improvement and potential areas of risk. You will ensure compliance with state federal and international tax law through a series of systems and system controls that are designed to ensure accurate, timely reporting. You will monitor current and impending changes to tax regulation and make the appropriate updates to policies and strategies. You will be single minded in their pursuit of ensuring compliance and achieves this goal through optimizing reporting procedures and driving the successful function of the tax team. As a Tax / Global Mobility Supervisor, you will be a member of the Financial Services team overseeing two Tax Analysts and two Global Mobility Analysts and will report directly to the US Payroll Manager.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide training, leadership, and support to the Tax and Global Mobility team to ensure timely and accurate transactions
- Oversee the entry non-recurring payroll changes (Stock Options, Gross up’s) and adjustments (wage and tax apportionments, year-end entries)
- Audit deceased employee payout, as well as Third Country National wire payments
- Ability to test all forms of data and troubleshoot any inconsistences that require resolution
- Ability to audit, validate, analyze data from gross to net and ensure compliance has been achieved
- Work closely with Payroll Analyst and Business Analyst to test, validate, and audit monthly Vertex updates and Oracle/ADP quarterly patches
- Administer and review ADP tax interface reports, upload all tax files and resolve exceptions in ADP Smart Compliance
- Proactively prevent penalty and non-filing notice situations by leveraging a deadline-driven approach
- Provide ongoing analysis of company policies, time & attendance and payroll system configuration to ensure compliance and recommend opportunities for increased efficiencies
- Provide payroll technical and analytical support to payroll team
- Create ad-hoc reporting pertaining to Payroll system data, provide analysis of data, giving guidance and recommendation for updates and/or changes in policies and procedures
- Payroll system support during future acquisitions for US
- Work closely with Finance to ensure all tax related items are coded correctly on General Ledger and provide support for tax related account reconciliations
- Work with Global Mobility team to ensure wages and taxes are reported correctly for overseas employees and VISA holders
- Address escalated and complex tax related inquiries
- Other duties as assigned by US Payroll Manager
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Extensive individual/corporate/partnership tax knowledge
- Strong accounting, analytical, and research skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong knowledge of tax code, compliance
- Extensive experience in U.S. Federal, State, and Local reporting requirements
- Familiarity with Global Payroll
- Strong experience with a variety of tax operations and ability to drive process improvements
- Fluent in Microsoft Excel as well as ADP or other tax / accounting programs
- Strong ability to utilize project management and accounting best practices to organize and prioritize tasks and the tasks of other tax team members
- Ability to work well independently as well as the ability to work well with stakeholders and communicate the benefits of tax initiatives
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance or a related field.
- 7 years of experience in a tax manager or public accountant role and at least 2 years of experience in a leadership role.
- A current CPA license and a master’s degree in an accounting discipline is preferred
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.