The Payroll Operations Manager is responsible for all aspects of the payroll production functions that ensure timely and accurate payments to all university faculty, employees and graduate students while adhering to university, federal and state legislation and policies. Functions include control, verification and reconciliation of earnings and deductions involved in all aspects of the payroll calculation, from gross to net amount. This position ensures the timely and accurate payments to all university employees and graduate students that include complex tasks of calculating the tax-sheltered benefits and deductions; taxable tuition remissions.
The Payroll Operations Manager assists in overseeing: $276 million gross employee payroll, $60 million in payroll taxes and over $10 million processed as deductions. The incumbent also assists with oversight for processing and reconciliation of approximately 8,200 W2's and approximately 250 1042S's.
- Directly supervises 2 FT Payroll Specialists, 2 FT Senior Payroll Specialists, 1 Payroll Accountant
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time 35 Hours/week
- Team Leader/Consultant B
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 8-10 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) Certification
- Experience managing and coaching staff
- Proficient knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for payroll, benefit, and audit purposes
- Proficient knowledge of and experience with MS Office and other work-related applications, including spreadsheets, data queries, and quantitative analyses.
- Ability to ensure proper communications and reconciliation of payroll charges or accounts.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting and payroll systems used in the communication and reconciliation of payroll charges or accounts.
- Excellent prioritizing and organizational skills
- Superior time management skills and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Supervisory and management skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check