This position reports to the Director of Shared Services and actively ensures the day-to-day Payroll related functions, from initial tax location setup through disbursement of net pay, payroll taxes, and garnishments, as well as the periodic and quarterly payroll tax filings and reconciliations, are completed in a timely and efficient manner, while complying with all Company policies and internal control requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Payroll Manager is a hands-on role and is responsible for managing a staff of payroll specialists, providing direction and guidance on all payroll related functions. The Payroll Manager will understand and utilize functionality within the payroll system to ensure the accuracy of payroll, deductions and taxes, and compliance with all federal and state regulations; this includes setting up and maintaining all systems, applications, procedures and controls required to successfully run payroll processes. The Payroll Manager reviews and audits pay run reporting information to ensure accuracy and compliance with policies and procedures and accurate and complete reporting to internal and external parties.
- Oversees the performance of Payroll team.
- Develops and administers continuous training of all payroll team members regarding policies and procedures.
- Tracks and monitors work results of payroll team, including providing timely direction and performance feedback, including the preparation of annual performance appraisals.
- Manages and audits payroll processes to ensure accurate and timely updates of pay rates, tax rates, and deductions utilized in pay runs, as well as compliance with all policies.
- Verifies compliance with all governmental reporting requirements for payroll taxes in multiple states, ensuring accurate and complete employee withholdings, employer contributions and payroll garnishment deductions and disbursements.
- Complete and responsive provisioning of all information as needed and assigned, assuring that any payroll-related reconciliations are resolved timely.
- Verify, update and maintain documentation of all payroll policies and procedures, assuring accessibility, understanding, and compliance by all payroll team members.
- Ensure that all garnishment inquiries and payments are completely in a timely manner.
- Ensure internal controls are executed and adhered to in the performance of specific procedures.
- Ensure that all quarterly compliance requirements are met timely
- Assist with, and lead when necessary, process improvement projects and productivity enhancements.
- Other responsibilities and projects, as assigned.
Must possess, and consistently demonstrate, leadership skills, professionalism, and attention to detail, the ability to multi-task, be deadline-driven, and strong written and oral communications skills. Expected to have solid Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word skills.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong leadership skills and professionalism
- Exemplary integrity
- Experience with automated payroll processing and tax filing applications and software
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to Supervise a team and prioritize daily functions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong team-building skills
- Proven and relevant payroll management experience in a multi-company (FEIN), multi-state payroll environment
- Reliable, consistent, and service-oriented
- Fully owns assigned responsibilities. A true business partner
- Critical thinker, who is able to think outside the process
- Problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Experience with internal controls in Payroll
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and multiple demands
- UltiPro experience preferred
- Payroll certification, a plus
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor\u0027s degree - Accounting or equivalent or related 10+ years' directly relevant work experience.
- 5 - 6 years of Payroll experience.
- 3+ years' experience in a Supervisor role.
- Retail or multi-unit industry experience preferred.
We offer competitive compensation, excellent benefits to include 401(k), best-in-class products, and more! Both innovative and high-performing, our stores provide you with unlimited possibilities to start your career. Be a part of the Tuesday Morning growth!