GENERAL SUMMARY/PRIMARY FUNCTION
Responsible for making our #1 critical success factor, safety first, a priority in all tasks and activities performed by self and all others involved. Coordinate, administer and reconcile the payroll processes of the Company in accordance with Federal and State regulations and in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley standards. Compile and prepare monthly, quarterly, annual and periodic payroll reports and data requests for the Company and external entities.
Minimum Qualifications: Requires knowledge of accounting practices and procedures at a level normally acquired through the completion of a two-year degree in accounting or business and three years experience performing payroll duties. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS 1. Process payroll, including employee time entry and verification of proper authorization, and develop accrual procedures to ensure timely and accurate data is maintained.
2. Calculates payroll, including standard deductions and taxes.
3. Maintains payroll database and employee files.
4. Handles the distribution of all payroll checks.
5. Audit the verification and reconciliation process by ensuring overtime hours and wage calculations are paid in accordance with company policy and/or current labor agreement and that time tickets are accurately reported.
6. Prepares all monthly, quarterly and annual payroll tax filings, including W-2’s.
7. Assists in the maintenance and implementation of accounting software, databases, and Viewpoint’s Spectrum Payroll Module. Complete maintenance of employee records and deductions.
8. Initiates procedures that cover multiple locations in multiple states and require different deductions and tax treatment.
9. Responsible for all union reports, deductions and activities with multiple unions.
10. Responsible for submitting the monthly 401(k) Plan filing in accordance with company policy, including Top Plan activity.
11. Reconciles and requests account payments to third parties, including involuntary deductions such as garnishments, child support, and levies.
12. Acts as a liaison with internal and external contacts and vendors. Researches and resolves issues for employees, including adjustments to pay due to pervious errors or retroactive increases.
13. Prepares monthly Management Report for the Company President.
14. Performs miscellaneous duties as needed: Set up of new employees, set up of direct deposits, termination and retirement of employees, payout of employees upon termination, unemployment insurance activity, income verification of employees, vacation schedules and vacation accrual and usage, and limited setup of jobs.
15. Performs additional duties as assigned.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES Detail-oriented and able to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines. Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) in dealing with internal and external customers. A working knowledge of all federal and state regulations regarding payroll practices and Sarbanes-Oxley standards. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite applications. Must maintain highly confidential and sensitive information.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE An Associate Degree in business administration or accounting and five years experience in the payroll function. Experience with multiple states, multiple unions, certified payroll and union reporting is preferred