Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose:Reporting to the Senior Director of Yale Shared Services, the Payroll Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of payroll operations. Responsible for all payroll processes and procedures including taxes and otherfinance demands. The payroll director needs to be able to coordinate effectively with other departments within the company such as finance, human resources, legal, and compensation. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
This position will be responsible for delivering service at the highest level to the Yale Community that focuses on quality, productivity and cost in an environment that fosters employee engagement, supports continuous improvement, manages risks, and ensures compliance with all policies and regulations. The job incumbent must engage fully as a member of the Yale Shared Services leadership team to define organizational objectives and assure their successful completion, working together as a leadership team to foster a positive culture and a high-performance work environment.
Required Education and Experience:Bachelor's Degree in a related field and ten years of related payroll work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be experienced with international payroll process and tax matters, metrics, business process design, accounting and financial analysis.
- Strong financial process knowledge with the ability to deliver results. Ability to deliver results under difficult conditions and demonstrate sound judgment under pressure. Ability to sell ideas persuasively and settle differences in a manner that strengthens relationships while creating win-win situations.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Listens to others and effectively comprehends information. Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in networking and ability to build and maintain effective relationships.
- Proven management skill and ability to attract, retain, motivate and manage talent to be exceptional. Ability to get others to buy into a vision, quickly earns credibility, tact and ability to be direct and influence others while remaining diplomatic.
- Ability to work across departmental boundaries to ensure effective payroll processing.
- Preferred Education and Experience: Must be experienced with international payroll process and tax matters, metrics, business process design, accounting and financial analysis. Experience directing payroll in a shared services environment within higher education highly desirable.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, pleaseapply online at Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual?s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.