$100K — $150K *
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007 by William “Red” Whittaker, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA's objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA's plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic's Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology is seeking a Payload Systems Engineer to contribute to the development of the company’s next lunar lander. This position will participate in the system engineering effort for the payload customers of Astrobotic’s lunar landers, spanning the entire program lifecycle from mission formulation through mission operations. This position reports to the Lead Systems Engineer.
• Coordinate systems engineering activities with Astrobotic’s Payload Management Team to ensure that the spacecraft provides the contractual interfaces and services to the mission payload manifest and that the payload customers abide by Astrobotic’s commercial payload guidelines, procedures, and documentation
• Support the technical formulation of Interface Definition Documents, Interface Control Documents, integration plans, operation plans, and Payload Data Package for the payload customers
• Serve as the systems engineer primary point of contact between the payload customers’ system engineer and/or payload managers and Astrobotic
• Prepare and deliver technical documentation and reporting
• Communicate with multiple engineering disciplines to address technical risks and challenges relating to the payload customers with the lander engineering team
• Communicate with payloads customers to resolve technical risks and challenges relating to customer requirements
• Participate in technical presentations given to payload customers about the lander interfaces, services, mission, and subsystem aspects
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Experience developing space systems from mission formulation and requirements flow-down through integration and test as well as mission operations
• Demonstrated experience in multiple of the following areas: structural/thermal design and analysis, avionics systems, power systems, communication systems, flight software, rover systems, spacecraft robotic systems, payload mission operations, systems engineering, fault management, S&MA, risk management, and system configuration management
• Experience with payload integration and testing procedures
• Experience with managing system budgets, such as mass, power, data rates, and thermal budgets
• Strong understanding of spacecraft systems
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
• Self-confident and energetic attitude towards problem-solving challenges
• Comfortable with a dynamic system and evolving environment through the lifecycle of the program, with a proven ability of managing and tracking system interfaces and requirements
• Proactive and engaging attitude when resolving challenges, in particular, confident in asking questions to understand the nature of problems
• Comfortable engaging with payload customers on a regular basis
• BS degree in Engineering, Systems Engineering, or other related fields.
• Minimum 5 years of relevant system engineering position
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Knowledgeable of V&V plan for space systems
• Knowledgeable of commercial space industry and payload market needs
• Knowledgeable of spacecraft payload system interfaces and standard processing procedures
• Experience in developing space systems for unmanned spacecraft or similar
• Demonstrated ability to adapt proven aerospace practices and methodologies into a commercial, small
mission, lean team environment
• Minimum 5 years of relevant space mission experience as a system engineer
Must be a U.S. person. Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample, references, and
demonstrate a significant background in space missions.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Valid through: 11/26/2020