Reporting to the Lead, Patient Education Liaison (LPEL) the Patient Education Liaison (PEL) is a critical component of the Givosiran and Lumasiran commercial strategy and works in close coordination with Field Sales, Field Reimbursement, Patient Services, Advocacy, and Marketing teams to support Alnylam's patient-focused vision of harnessing a revolution in biology for human health®.
The Patient Education Liaison is responsible for educating patients, caregivers, families, nurses, medical assistants, office staff, professional nursing organizations, and pertinent community groups affected by, or at risk for, acute hepatic porphyria (AHP) and primary hyperoxaluria (PH). The Patient Education Liaison will educate on the disease state, the hereditary nature, Givosiran, Lumasiran, and Alnylam's services, through phone-based or in-person meetings. A key role of the team will be to provide in-depth education about how AHP/PH affects people, available diagnostic options, and the significance of early diagnosis and treatment. Central to this role is the ability to work with regional, field-based and internal colleagues to identify barriers to patient access and work to resolve them.
The successful candidate must be passionate about science and deeply motivated by the quest of delivering value to patients and their families with the long-term success of the company in mind.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Actively collaborates with Field Sales, Patient Services, Medical Affairs, Marketing, Advocacy and other critical internal teams to increase disease-state awareness and early diagnosis
- Leads regional effort to provide disease-state education, product education and support to patients their families/caregivers, nurses, medical assistants, office staff, nursing organizations, and community groups
- Maintains disease-state and product expertise through continuing medical education and attendance at relevant symposia, conferences and other educational opportunities
- Provides comprehensive updates on activity to regional colleagues, ensuring that the regional team is working seamlessly as one entity to support patients in early diagnosis and access to treatment
- Offers constructive feedback on existing workplan and proposes innovative service offerings to leadership where opportunities exist
- Accountable for executing on targeted workplan
- Completes required work in CRM system to facilitate tracking of critical launch metrics
- Ensures compliance with all corporate and industry policies per training provided by Alnylam Commercial, Legal, Regulatory and Compliance Officers
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Registered Nurse
- Masters Degree and relevant certifications/licensure preferred (not required)
- 5+ yrs. Pharmaceutical/biotech experience in a similar role
- Experience supporting and providing education to patients, family members, nurses, medical assistants, office staff, nursing organizations, and community groups affected by rare genetic diseases or other chronic illnesses a plus
- Strong presentation skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, professional communications, problem-solving, compassion and the ability to navigate difficult conversations
- Ability to translate scientific/medical information into patient-friendly language
- Ability to work well and lead within with cross-functional groups and in a matrix organization
- Desire to innovate and work in a fast-paced, energetic environment
- Self-starter who is highly passionate about rare disease and Alnylam's core values:
- Commitment to People, Innovation, Discovery, Sense of Urgency, Open Culture, and Passion for Excellence.
- Ability to travel up to 75%