The Patient Access Director (Hospital Based) is responsible for the daily operations of all functions and serves as the liaison between the Shared Services Center (SSC) and the facility. The Patient Access Director integrates the department’s services with the hospital’s primary functions, develops/implements policies and procedures that guide or support service, assesses and improves department performance, and ensures orientation and continuing education of departmental staff. As the facility based leader, this person may recommend resources/space needed by the department and may participate in the selection of outside services. The Director interprets policies and procedures, recommends changes as appropriate, and provides relevant feedback to SSC leadership. They serve as a key promoter of the SSC, which strives to meet and exceed the needs of its customers.
Duties (included but not limited to):
• Oversee facility operations of Patient Access functions (e.g. pre-registration, benefit verification, pre-authorization, admission/registration, service pre-payment, etc.) to ensure daily operations are maintained according to standard
• Model AIDET guidelines in all interactions with the patient and ensure staff are adhering to the patient experience expectations.
• Implement and promote excellent customer service
• Serve as the primary liaison between the SSC and the Facility
• Maintain and promote good customer relations with facility based leadership, physicians and physician office staff
• Review Patient Access performance to ensure timeliness, accuracy, compliance and standards fulfillment as defined in SSC Service Level Agreements
• Inform Regional Patient Access Director of any significant issues in the Patient Access area (e.g., Pre- registration delays, pre-authorization backlogs, etc.)
• Stay abreast of regulatory requirements and company compliance policies, ensuring timely staff education
• Inform staff of relevant changes and developments in payer requirements
• Facilitate implementation and monitoring of standard master files, processes, reporting and education programs
• Develop specific objectives, budgets, and performance standards for each area of responsibility
• Identify and implement process improvements to lower costs and improve services to facility customers
• Determines staff qualifications and competence. Develops and maintains accurate initial and annual competency checklists, and initiates completion of initial and annual competency attestation forms.
• Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care of the services delivered.
• Attends in-service presentations, and complete mandatory education including, but not limited to, infection control, patient safety, quality improvements, MSDS and OSHA Standards.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES • Technical Expertise – Some understanding of healthcare including knowledge of healthcare terms and accounts receivable processes
• Strategic Analysis - Analytical Review skills and ability to make decisions based on analysis
• Leadership - guides individuals and groups toward desired outcomes, setting high performance standards and delivering leading quality services
• Tactical execution - oversees the development, deployment and direction of complex programs and processes
• Financial management - applies tools and processes to successfully manage to budget
• Project Management - assesses work activities and allocates resources appropriately
• Organization - proactively prioritizes needs and effectively manages resources
• Communication - communicates clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. This includes utilizing proper punctuation, correct spelling and the ability to transcribe accurately. The ability to communicate with staff, Parallon Management, Division, Facility and Group Executives
• Customer orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations • Interpersonal skills - able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
• Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field required. If a desired applicant does not have a Bachelor's degree, the requirement can be waived IF they are currently in a Bachelor Degree program.
• Minimum 5 years' healthcare management experience with three of these years in the related area for the position.
• Relevant education may substitute experience requirement with SSC Executive approval.